This creamy vegan pesto is one of my go-to recipes when I’m feeling a little lazy. It comes together so quickly and is packed with nutrients!
Why you’ll love this recipe
I just know you’ll love this recipe! It’s:
- Made with just 9 ingredients
- Healthy and flavoursome
- The perfect quick and easy dinner!
How to make vegan pesto
Toast pine nuts in a frying pan until golden, then blend with basil, spinach, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, garlic, olive oil, salt and pepper. Simples!
Notes on this recipe
- Make sure you gradually add the water to avoid the pesto becoming too runny.
- If serving with pasta, reserve some pasta water before draining the pasta, to toss through the pasta and sauce.
- Nut free? Swap the pine nuts for toasted pumpkin or sunflower seeds!
Pesto isn’t normally vegan, and sometimes isn’t even vegetarian, as it contains Parmesan cheese made from animal products. This homemade vegan version is still perfectly creamy thanks to the help of nutritional yeast.
Basil is a key ingredient in pesto and my recipe uses a combination of half basil, half spinach for optimum flavour and nutrition.
More healthy vegan dinner recipes to try:
Vegan Pesto PastaLeave a Review Print Recipe
- 1 handful Fresh Basil
- 1 handful Spinach
- 2 tablespoons Pine Nuts
- ½ clove Garlic
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast optional, for cheesy flavour
- ¼ Lemon juiced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 4 oz/ 110 grams Fusilli Pasta to serve
- Bring a large pan of salted water to the boil and cook the fusilli pasta for 10 minutes until tender.
- Add the pine nuts to a frying pan over medium-low heat and gently toast for a few minutes until golden.
- Add the spinach, basil, toasted pine nuts, garlic, olive oil, nutritional yeast, lemon juice, salt and pepper to a blender or food processor. Begin to blend then gradually pour in the water until the pesto reaches your desired consistency.
- Drain the pasta and toss with the pesto sauce. Serve hot.
- You can make this oil-free by replacing the oil with water, or add more oil for extra richness.
- Leftover pesto can be stored in an airtight jar in the fridge for up to 2 days.