If you’re making non-spicy avocado toast, you’re making avocado toast wrong.
Avocados alone are pretty devoid of flavour (yes, I’m throwing shade at avocados, but they needed to hear it) but adding chilli gives them the boost they need to become a flavoursome plant-based lunch.
I make this recipe at least twice a week as it’s super simple, packed with flavour and keeps me full until dinnertime. It’s also easily made gluten-free by using gluten-free bread!
ingredients for spicy avocado toast:
You’ll need 9 ingredients to make this recipe. Perhaps it sounds like a lot, but most of them are the flavours we use to make our spicy avocado toast, spicy!
- Bread – I love using fresh sourdough bread to make avocado toast – it crisps up beautifully and the slight tangy flavour works so well in this recipe.
- Avocados – obviously! See below for my top tips for choosing a ripe avocado.
- Lime – The tang from the lime adds fresh flavour AND does double time by ensuring your avocado stays green. In other words, don’t omit it!
- Chickpeas – I love adding chickpeas to my avocado toast for extra plant-based protein.
- Salt + Pepper
- Chilli Flakes AND fresh chilli – I said this was spicy avocado toast! Feel free to adjust the quantity of chilli to your personal preference.
- Coriander – If you’ve bought a big bunch of coriander I highly suggest using some to make this green Mexican rice recipe!
Choosing the perfect ripe avocado:
There’s nothing I despise more than slicing into an avocado only to discover, to my absolute horror, that it is unripe beyond consumption. A day when this happens is a day ruined.
So to avoid ruining your day, here are my top tips for choosing the perfect avocado:
- Give it a squeeze. Ripe avocados are usually tender. If your avocado is VERY hard, it’s best to leave it to ripen at room temperature for a few days.
- Remove the ‘nub’. Is it called a nub? The little dot on the top of the avocado will come off easily if the avocado is ripe!
- Check the colour. There are many varieties of avocado with different coloured skins, but generally a dark green/black looking avocado is going to be ripe.
Shivani’s tips for making perfect avocado toast:
I may only be 19, but trust me when I say I’ve made a lot of avocado toast in my lifetime. And naturally I’ve worked up a few tricks for making the perfect a avocado toast every time:
- Use good-quality ingredients. Like bruschetta, avocado toast is a pretty simple dish with minimal ingredients. Therefore it’s important to use the best ingredients you can get!
- Mash the avocado separately. Perhaps this goes without saying, but you do NOT want to be mashing your avocados right on the toast to save on washing dishes. Unless you like your toast wet and mushy. I mean, you do you (but don’t do you this one time please)
- DON’T forget the lime! Mashing avocado without lime is a criminal offence. Well, it’s not, but you could face some serious stares from the avocado police!
Now you’re ready to make the perfect avocado toast! Make sure to leave a rating + review below if you love this recipe, and tag me in your creations on Instagram!
more quick and healthy lunch recipes:
Spicy Avocado Toast With Chickpeas
- 2 slices Fresh Sourdough Bread or bread of choice
- 1/2 Ripe Avocado
- 1/4 cup/ 50 grams Tinned Chickpeas washed and drained
- 1/4 Lime juiced
- 1/4 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1/2 Red Chilli optional, for extra heat
- Fresh Coriander for garnish
- Pop the sourdough bread slices into a toaster and toast until golden.
- Meanwhile, mash the avocado with the lime juice, chilli flakes, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Gently spread the mashed avocado mixture atop the toast slices. Top the spicy avocado toast with chickpeas, coriander, and slices of red chilli. Enjoy!
- Best served immediately as the avocado will discolour over time.
NUTRITIONServes 1 Calories: 472 kcal | Fat: 21.5g | Saturated Fat: 4.5g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 1184mg | Carbohydrates: 61.2g | Fiber: 11.7g | Sugar: 2.4g | Protein: 12.8g