Blueberry Almond Butter Smoothie
July 20, 2020
This simple blueberry breakfast smoothie is made with just 5 healthy ingredients. I make this vegan almond butter smoothie every week!
Today friends, I bring you this blueberry almond butter smoothie recipe, which is quite *possibly* my favourite smoothie of them all. It’s sweet and nutty, delightfully creamy, and made with just 5 healthy ingredients!
This blueberry smoothie is perfect to make for breakfast, a pre- or post-run snack (because yes, your girl runs now) or even for a healthy dessert!
You’ll notice the lighting looks a little different in these photos. I decided to have a little fun with harsh light and I’m really happy with the results. If you want to read more about lighting in food photography check out my blog post on food photography essentials!
Talking of essentials, I make this blueberry breakfast smoothie at least twice a week. No kidding.
What ingredients will i need?
Bananas. I, for one, am terrible at remembering to freeze bananas for smoothies. So I developed this recipe which calls for your standard room temperature bananas! But don’t worry, we still get maximum sweetness and creaminess from the other ingredients.
When choosing bananas for smoothies make sure you always pick a ripe and spotty banana – if it’s a little mushy this is perfect!
Frozen blueberries. Aside from sneaking their way into blueberry muffins, these babies are making an appearance in this almond butter smoothie. Using frozen blueberries is not only cheaper than fresh, but it keeps our smoothie cool and gives it a creamy texture.
I love wild blueberries (if you are in the UK, you can buy them from Lidl) but regular frozen blueberries work just as well in this smoothie.
Almond butter. You can sub any nut butter of your choosing, but I really love the flavour of almond butter with the blueberries! Make sure to buy a variety which is 100% nuts and free from added sugars/oils. You can even make your own nut butter at home!
Almond milk. Continuing with the almond theme, I love using homemade vanilla almond milk in this recipe. But you can use any dairy-free milk of your choosing, or even replace the milk with water for a lower-calorie option.
Protein powder. I don’t put protein powder in all my smoothies, but this almond butter smoothie is so much creamier with the addition of a little protein powder. I use a vegan pea protein isolate which is 90% protein, but of course this is completely optional.
And that’s it! With 5 simple ingredients you can be drinking this almond butter smoothie in no time!
How to make a blueberry almond butter smoothie:
Step 1: add all the ingredients to a blender.
Step 2: blend.
Step 3: consume whilst trying not to spill any beautiful purple liquid on your white shirt. (I really ought to buy a bib or something.)
Tips for making perfect smoothies:
- Use a high speed blender for the best texture. It really pays to invest in a good blender if you are making smoothies on the regular. I love my Vitamix and couldn’t live without it now!
- Add the ingredients in the right order. You’ll want to put the frozen ingredients at the top of the blender for easy blending.
- If you think it’s blended, blend for 30 seconds more. This is my top tip for making sure your smoothies are lump-free!
And there you have it! My favourite smoothie recipe which I’m sure is soon to be your favourite too. Let me know if you try it and of course let me know if you love it by leaving a rating + review below or tagging me on Instagram in your photos!
More smoothie recipes:
- My favourite green smoothie (it’s four of your five a day people!!)
- Matcha smoothie bowl
- Blueberry smoothie bowl
PSST! If you’re a smoothie addict like me, you’ll love my smoothie ebook! Grab your FREE copy when you sign up to my mailing list!
Blueberry Almond Butter Smoothie
- 1 Banana peeled
- 2 tbsp Protein Powder optional – I use a vegan pea protein isolate
- 1 tbsp Almond Butter
- 1/2 cup/ 70 grams Frozen Blueberries
- 3/4 cup/ 175 ml Almond Milk or dairy-free milk of choice
- Peel the banana and break it into a few chunks before adding to your blender. Add the protein powder, almond butter, frozen blueberries, and almond milk.
- Blend all of the ingredients together until creamy and smooth. Pour into your favourite glass and enjoy!
- Best served immediately.
NUTRITIONServes 1 Calories: 302 kcal | Fat: 12.3g | Saturated Fat: 1.1g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 93mg | Carbohydrates: 40.7g | Fiber: 7.5g | Sugar: 22.6g | Protein: 13.9g