Grab your blenders, friends, because you’re going to want to make this matcha smoothie bowl! It’s creamy, refreshing, and of course it’s super tasty. I mean, smoothie bowls are essentially a socially-acceptable way to have ice cream for breakfast 😉
What is matcha?
Matcha is powdered green tea packed with antioxidants. This is because matcha is the blended form of the entire tea leaf. Matcha has a grassy and nutty flavour, and is perfect in matcha energy balls, iced lattes and smoothies like this one!
What is a smoothie bowl?
Smoothie bowls are thick smoothies prepared with less liquid than usual, giving them a soft ice cream-like consistency. And the best thing about smoothie bowls? They’re the perfect vessel for some tasty toppings! My favourites include fresh fruit, cacao nibs, and chocolate orange granola.
How to make thick smoothie bowls
I have some handy tips to make sure your smoothie bowls are PERFECT every time:
- Freeze your fruit. The frozen fruit creates the thick ice-cream like texture to our smoothie. Without it, we have smoothie soup. The best way to freeze bananas is to slice each banana into 6-8 pieces and transfer them to a freezer bag.
- Use a high speed blender. Vitamix blenders really are great for making smoothie bowls as they have a powerful motor and high speed.
- Slowly add the liquid. Start with a little liquid in the blender, and use the tamper or a spatula to carefully shift the fruit around the blade if the blender stops running. If the blender continues to not run, add a little more liquid.
There are two main ‘grades’ of Matcha: ceremonial grade and culinary grade. Ceremonial grade is only meant for drinking with water, whereas culinary grade is best for combining with other ingredients and using in smoothie bowls.
If you don’t like bananas, you can sub an extra 1/2 cup of frozen mango.
Either you have added too much liquid, not used any frozen fruit, or blended the smoothie for too long. See my tips above for making perfect smoothie bowls!
Psst! If green isn’t your colour, I have a blueberry smoothie bowl recipe for you!
Matcha Smoothie BowlLeave a Review Print Recipe
- 1 Banana sliced into 6-8 chunks and frozen
- 1 cup/ 150 grams Frozen Mango Chunks
- ½ tsp Matcha Powder culinary grade
- ¼ cup/ 55 grams Fresh Spinach
- ¼ cup/ 60 ml Milk of choice
- ¼ cup/ 25 grams Blueberries
- ½ tbsp Cacao Nibs
- ½ tbsp Pumpkin Seeds
- Add the frozen banana, frozen mango and spinach to a high speed blender.
- Add the matcha powder and 2 tbsp of warm water to a small bowl and whisk together until no lumps remain. Add this to the blender.
- Add about half of the milk to the blender and blend your smoothie bowl. If the smoothie is not blending, use the tamper or a spatula to carefully shift the fruit around the blade. If it is still not blending, add a little more almond milk and blend again.
- Once your smoothie is thick and smooth, transfer it to a bowl and add your favourite toppings. Enjoy!
- If you don’t have matcha, you can omit it to make a tasty green smoothie bowl!
- Best served immediately.
- Nutrition information for 1 smoothie bowl topped with 1/4 cup blueberries, 1/2 tbsp sunflower seeds and 1/2 tbsp cacao nibs