Today, friends, I'm sharing the best bruschetta recipe to ever grace the internet. It's super simple, made with just 5 ingredients, naturally vegan, and just all-round amazing.
Bruschetta is one of my favourite quick lunches to whip up in the Summer. We've been blessed with a lot of sunshine lately and one of my favourite pastimes at the moment is enjoying a few slices of the good stuff in the garden!
And my favourite thing about bruschetta? How simple it is. It's made with just 5 ingredients and is therefore a true celebration of the simple things in life. All it takes is some good quality sourdough, British-grown tomatoes, olive oil, balsamic and fresh basil. And the result is pure bliss.
Which tomatoes are best for making bruschetta?
The best bruschetta recipe is of course all about the tomatoes, which is why it's important to use the right variety!
Large salad tomatoes are often bland, so you want to opt for baby plum or cherry tomatoes which are small and sweet. Bonus points if you use a variety of coloured tomatoes! You can get red, orange, yellow, and even dark purple ones.
HOw to make perfect bruschetta
First, brush sourdough bread with olive oil and toast in a pan until golden (photo 1).
Slice your cherry tomatoes into quarters (photo 2) and marinate in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, basil and salt (photo 3). Then serve atop the bread and enjoy!
notes on this recipe
- Traditionally, a sliced clove of garlic is spread on top of the toasted bread for extra flavour. I HIGHLY recommend doing this if you have the time!
- In simple dishes like these you'll want to use the best quality ingredients you can find.
- This recipe is easily made gluten-free by using gluten-free bread.
Use a good quality freshly baked bread like sourdough or ciabatta. DO NOT use standard sandwich bread. That is a crime (just kidding, but getting some good-quality bread for this recipe is worth it imo)
If you are hosting a party or looking to meal prep, you can prepare the marinated tomatoes ahead of time and store it in an airtight container in the fridge to use later. The flavours will only get better!
Be sure to prepare the toast right before serving so it stays crisp!
More easy vegan lunch recipes:
Best Bruschetta Recipe (5 ingredients!)
- 4 slices Sourdough bread
- 4 teaspoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cups/ 300 grams Fresh Cherry Tomatoes or baby plum tomatoes, sliced into quarters
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 sprig Fresh Basil finely chopped
- Using a pastry brush, brush 2 teaspoon of the olive oil onto both sides of the sourdough bread slices.
- Toast the sourdough on a griddle pan over medium-high until charred - it should take a few minutes on each side. If you do not have a griddle pan you can use a frying pan or toaster (if using a toaster don't put any oil on the bread)
- Prepare the tomato mixture by slicing the tomatoes into quarters and mixing with the remaining olive oil, balsamic vinegar, finely chopped basil, and salt. You may not need all the salt depending on your tomatoes, so start with ¼ teaspoon and add more to taste if desired.
- Serve the tomatoes atop the toasted bread. Enjoy!
- The tomato mixture can be prepared ahead of time and stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 1 day.
- Make sure to assemble the bruschetta just before serving so the bread stays crisp!