Are you in need of a tasty snack that packs a flavour punch? Look no further than this chilli cheese toast recipe!
Cheese on toast is receiving the spicy upgrade you never knew it needed: we’re transforming the classic into an Indian-inspired version using red onions, tomatoes and fresh green chillies.
I’m sharing my tried and tested method for making cheese on toast that is deliciously melty, gooey, crispy and buttery at the same time!
Why you’ll love this recipe
I just know you’ll LOVE this recipe! It’s:
- A delicious and flavour-packed snack
- Easily made in the oven in under 15 minutes
- Suitable for vegetarians and easily made vegan and/or gluten-free
To make this chilli cheese toast recipe, you will need:
- Bread. You can use any bread of your choosing – my favourites are wholemeal loaf and sourdough! You can also use gluten-free bread if you prefer.
- Fresh green chillies. You can also use chopped jalapenos if you are in a pinch. If you’re a jalapeno fan, you’ll love my jalapeno hummus recipe!
- Tomatoes. Any variety works well in this recipe.
- Peppers/capsicum. I love green peppers, but any colour will do!
- Red onion. You can also use brown onion or spring onions here.
- Cheese. My personal favourite is a 50/50 split of cheddar cheese and mozzarella – but feel free to use any of your favourite cheeses!
If you love chillies, you’ll enjoy my restaurant-style chana masala recipe too!
How to make chilli cheese toast step-by-step
As always, you can find the full recipe and instructions at the bottom of this blog post.
This recipe couldn’t be simpler to make! Firstly, generously butter the bread and toast until golden brown (photo 1).
Note: If you are based in the US, you will need to set your oven to BROIL. If you are based in the UK, you will need to set your oven to the GRILL setting.
Next, flip the toast over (this is important!) and add the sliced red onion, pepper, tomatoes and green chillies (photo 2).
Top the toast with cheese (photo 3) and bake until the cheese is bubbly and melty.
Psst! If you love all things cheese, chilli and bread, then you’ll fall head over heels for my masala grilled cheese sandwich recipe!
How to make this recipe perfectly
- Make sure you flip the toast after grilling it the first time. This is my favourite method for making cheese on toast, as the bread becomes golden on both sides. Be sure to flip the toast before you add the toppings or else it will burn very quickly!
- Keep an eye on it. If there’s one thing I’ve learned about making cheese on toast, it’s to watch it like a hawk! The heat of the grill/broiler means that your chilli cheese toast can go from melty and bubbly to burnt in just a few seconds, so it’s best to constantly keep an eye on it.
- Use fresh ingredients. Using the best ingredients you can find helps to maximise the flavour of this dish!
Frequently asked questions
Yes! Simply swap the butter for vegan butter and use your favourite melty vegan cheese.
Yes – garlic would make a great addition. You can add some finely chopped garlic to either the buttered side or the vegetable/cheese side.
You can add sweetcorn kernels, chopped olives, mushrooms or chopped spinach.
Storage and reheating
However, you can store leftover chilli cheese toast in the fridge wrapped in foil and enjoy hot or cold the next day. To reheat, place the chilli cheese toast on a baking tray and heat in the oven for 5 minutes at 160°C/320°F or until fully heated through.
The BEST Chilli Cheese ToastLeave a Review Print Recipe
- 2 slices Bread I like wholemeal bread, but use any bread of your choosing
- 3 teaspoons Softened Butter or vegan butter
- 1/2 Red Onion finely chopped
- 1 Salad Tomato diced
- 1/2 Green Bell Pepper diced
- 1 Green Chilli finely diced – add more/less if you prefer
- 70g/ 2oz Mozzarella Cheese or vegan alternative, grated
- 70g/ 2oz Cheddar Cheese or vegan alternative, grated
- Preheat your oven to the grill setting (UK) or broiler setting (US). Set the temperature to 230°C/450°F.
- Whilst the oven is preheating, chop the vegetables and grate the cheese.
- Generously butter the 2 slices of bread and place them on a baking tray, butter side up.
- Grill/broil your bread until it is golden brown. This should take 3-5 minutes, but keep an eye on it as it may burn quickly!
- Remove the tray from the oven and flip the toast over so the golden buttered side is facing down. Top the bread with the diced onion, peppers, tomatoes and green chillies, spreading them out evenly.
- Add the grated cheese on top of the vegetables, ensuring the bread is evenly covered with vegetables and cheese.
- Grill/broil the bread again for 3-5 minutes, until the cheese is bubbly and melted.
- Remove from the oven and serve immediately. If you wish, you can garnish the toast with chilli flakes for some extra heat. Enjoy!
- You can use any cheese that melts well in this recipe.
- Feel free to add extra veggies such as diced mushrooms, spinach, olives or sweetcorn kernels.
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge wrapped in foil to enjoy hot or cold the next day. To reheat, place the chilli cheese toast on a baking tray and heat in the oven for 5 minutes at 160°C/320°F or until fully heated through.