Step aside, regular grilled cheese. Masala grilled cheese is in town and it's the best thing to hit the blog yet! My Indian upgrade on the childhood classic features masala onions and is served alongside a super speedy coriander chutney.
Why you'll love this recipe
I just know you'll love this recipe! It's:
- Fresh and flavoursome
- Easily made vegan
- Ready in minutes!
How to make masala grilled cheese
Prepare the chutney by adding coriander, spinach, ginger, garlic, chillies, lemon juice and raw peanuts to a blender (photo 1) and blending until smooth (photo 2).
Prepare the masala onions by sauteing sliced onions with spices (photo 3).
Now it's time to assemble the masala grilled cheese! Layer up buttered bread in a frying pan with cheese, masala onions (photo 4) , tomato slices (photo 5), more cheese, and another slice of bread. Make sure to put the buttered sides of the bread on the outside of the sandwich to help it toast up nicely!
Then we'll cook the masala grilled cheese until golden and crisp (photo 6) and serve alongside the coriander chutney. Yum yum YUM yum yum.
Notes on this recipe
- Butter the bread generously and to the edges to ensure the grilled cheese is perfectly golden and crisp.
- Cook on medium-low heat so the cheese can melt evenly.
- Use two layers of cheese for optimum gooeyness!
If you're all about the cheese and spice, you'll love my chilli cheese toast recipe too!
Yes - substitute raw sunflower seeds for the raw peanuts to make it nut-free.
Yes! Simply swap the butter for vegan butter and the cheese for vegan cheese - my favourite for melting is Violife.
Make sure your pan is on a low heat and leave the grilled cheese to cook for a few minutes. If the cheese still hasn't melted you can cover the pan with a lid to create a steamy environment.
If you like this recipe, you'll love my easy pilau rice and chilli mogo recipes too. Let me know if you try them out!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please leave a rating + review below and share your photos on Instagram tagging #shivanilovesfood!
Masala Grilled Cheese with Coriander ChutneyLEAVE A REVIEW PRINT RECIPE
For the Coriander Chutney
- 1 handful Coriander
- 1 handful Spinach
- 1 cm piece Fresh Ginger
- ½ clove Garlic
- 2 Fresh Chillies use more/less as you prefer
- 1 tablespoon Raw Peanuts use raw sunflower seeds for nut-free option
- ¼ Lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoon Water
For the Masala Grilled Cheese
- ½ Red Onion sliced into rings
- 1 teaspoon Sunflower Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard Seeds rai
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin Seeds jeera seeds
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground Coriander dhana
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground Cumin jeera
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric haldi
- ¼ teaspoon Chilli Powder mirchi
- 4 slices Sourdough Bread or bread of choice
- 6 teaspoon Butter or vegan butter
- 4 slices Cheddar Cheese or vegan cheese
- ½ Large Tomato sliced
- Prepare the chutney: Add the coriander, spinach, fresh ginger, garlic, fresh chillies, raw peanuts, lemon juice, and water to a small blender and blend until smooth.
- Make the masala onions: Add the sunflower oil, mustard seeds and cumin seeds to a small pan over medium heat. Once the seeds begin to crackle, lower the heat and add the sliced red onion. Stir to coat the onions in the oil, then add the spices: ground coriander, ground cumin, turmeric, and chilli powder. Stir to combine and cook for 5 minutes until softened.
- Assemble the sandwich: Generously spread the butter over 4 slices of bread, ensuring to go all the way to the edges. Add one slice of bread, butter side down, to a frying pan over medium-low heat. Add a layer of cheese, then half the masala onions, and some tomato slices. Top with another layer of cheese and the final slice of bread, butter side up. Repeat for the second sandwich.
- Cook the grilled cheese: Cook the masala grilled cheese for 3-5 minutes on each side until golden and crisp. Ensure the cheese has melted before serving the sandwich hot alongside the chutney. Enjoy!
- The grilled cheese is best served immediately to ensure it is crisp and the cheese is gooey.
- The chutney will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Just wanted to say peanuts aren't nuts. ; )
Oh my, what a stunning twist on grilled cheese, I love it! A whole new level from the standard kids teatime treat. Just gorgeous.
Thank you so much Kate!
This masala grilled cheese has so many levels of delicious flavor. The onions and tomatoes, gooey cheese, and then dipping sauce are all amazing together.
So glad you liked it Sharon!
OH WOW! I love this flavor-packed grilled cheese upgrade!
Now that is interesting! Bringing masala to a sandwich! Yum!
This Masala grilled cheese was very good tasting and I really enjoyed the layers of flavor. Happy New Year!
Happy New Year to you too! Glad you enjoyed 🙂