Trust me when I say you need to add this lemon blueberry baked oats recipe to your breakfast rotation ASAP. They have a soft and fluffy texture and are packed with spring flavours thanks to some fresh lemon zest.
Baked oats have been going pretty viral on Tiktok lately, but what intrigued me most was seeing people blending the oats first. The result of this? A tasty and healthy breakfast CAKE. And if you know me, you know I’d happily eat cake for 3 meals a day, 7 days a week.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
I just know you’ll fall in love with these lemon baked oats! It’s:
- Vegan and gluten-free
- Bursting with lemony flavour
- Two of your five a day
- A socially acceptable way to eat cake for breakfast!
How to make LEMON BLUEBERRY baked oats:
This vegan baked oats recipe is a cinch to make. The ingredients and process are very similar to my vegan pancake recipe – except in this case, we are baking the mixture to make a fluffy breakfast cake. YAY!
To make baked oatmeal, first blend the oats into a fine powder, or oat flour. Then mix together with the blended wet ingredients: dairy-free milk and a banana.
Then we'll add baking powder, lemon juice, and lemon zest. I love the flavour of lemon but if its not for you, check out my chocolate chip baked oatmeal recipe, because who doesn’t love chocolate chips?
Once baked and golden, I love serving this baked oatmeal recipe with dairy-free yoghurt, more blueberries, and fresh lemon zest!
You can also serve your baked oats with nut butter, and making your own at home is oh so easy. Why not check out my recipe for pistachio almond butter?
NOTES ON THIS RECIPE
- Blend the oats separately to ensure they are finely ground.
- Use fresh lemon zest for optimal flavour!
- Baked oats are best enjoyed immediately but can be refrigerated for 1 day and reheated when desired.
Dry baked oats result from using too much oats or not enough liquid. You should find that this recipe yields moist and fluffy oats!
Note that if you are adding protein powder to your baked oats this may create a drying effect.
Yes! Feel free to stir in ½ a scoop of unflavoured protein powder to the mixture before baking.
Yes! Feel free to use any berries of your choosing.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please leave a rating + review below and share your photos on Instagram tagging #shivanilovesfood!
Lemon Blueberry Baked OatsLEAVE A REVIEW PRINT RECIPE
- ½ cup/ 50 grams Oats you can use rolled oats or porridge oats here, as we are blending them
- 1 Small Banana the riper the better!
- ½ cup/ 120 ml Dairy-Free Milk of choice – I like oat milk
- ¼ teaspoon Baking Powder
- Zest of ½ Lemon
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup/ 35 grams Blueberries or berries of choice, fresh or frozen
- 2 tablespoon Dairy-Free Yoghurt to serve
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C/ 350 °F.
- Add the oats to a blender and pulse until they form a flour (you can leave it slightly chunky if you would like your baked oats to be more textured). Pour the oat flour into a medium-sized bowl.
- To the same blender, add the banana and dairy-free milk. Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the banana-milk mixture into the oat flour along with the baking powder, lemon juice and half the lemon zest. Stir to combine
- Decant the baked oats mixture into a small dish or ramekin and top with half the blueberries, pressing them into the mixture.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.
- Serve hot topped with dairy-free yoghurt, and the remaining blueberries and lemon zest. Enjoy!
- Make sure to use fresh lemon zest in this recipe. It carries a lot of flavour!
- Optional: add ½ a scoop of your favourite vegan protein powder to the mix before baking.
- If you like things a little sweeter, serve the baked oats with a drizzle of maple syrup!
This sounds delicious and a lovely change from my usual oatmeal.
Oooooh this sound so delicious! Love lemon and blueberry together so this is a great way to start the day.
Thanks so much Danielle!
Not wanting another smoothie bowl for breakfast, I just made this instead and it was like eating dessert for breakfast! Love the texture of the baked oats and the lemony flavor is so delicious!
Isn't it the BEST? So glad you enjoyed!
Absolutely delicious baked oats; thank you for this fantastic recipe! I will make it again!!
You're welcome!! 🙂
This was my first time baking oats and they turned out so good! It was such a delicious breakfast!
Love to hear it Kristen!
These lemon blueberry baked oats were delicious! It was so easy to make yet tasted awesome!
So glad you enjoyed Heidy!
After 45 min in the oven it's still not set it's still pouridge, so it' s tekens a lot longer baking time, i turnend to oven higher, but stil, it takes almost 1 hour in the oven
Hi Ans, so sorry this didn't work for you! Which oven temperature did you use?