French toast is one of those things which seems impossible to make vegan. Can you get still have that eggy texture? Can you make French toast without using dairy products?
Spoiler alert: you CAN.
My vegan French toast is the perfect sweet and healthy breakfast. Meaning it is totally acceptable to enjoy every day of the week!
how to make vegan French toast
The main ingredient we are replacing in this recipe is eggs (which are not vegan). To recreate that thick eggy texture to our French toast batter, we are using ground flax seeds.
We’ll mix together ground flaxseeds with dairy-free milk, sugar, cinnamon and vanilla extract, to form a tasty French toast batter. Then we’ll dunk in some bread and fry until golden and crisp!
French toast topping ideas:
The best thing about French toast – all the tasty toppings! Here’s a few ways to top your French toast:
- Keep it classic with a little maple syrup and vegan butter.
- Serve with fresh berries, jam, and yogurt.
- Caramelise some bananas and serve with homemade pistachio almond butter – swoon!
- For the serious chocoholics: drizzle with melted dark chocolate and a sprinkle of cacao nibs. And some brownie hunks on top, because why not?
Yes! Any plant-based milk will work well in this recipe, with the exception of canned coconut milk.
French toast is best prepared and enjoyed immediately.
Yes, simply swap the granulated sugar for coconut or date sugar. And don’t forget to serve with maple syrup!
More vegan breakfast Recipes:
Vegan French Toast RecipeLeave a Review Print Recipe
- 1 slice Bread I like sourdough
- 1/4 cup/ 50 ml Dairy-Free Milk of choice
- ½ tsp Ground Flax Seeds or chia seeds
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Granulated Sugar can sub date or coconut sugar
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the dairy-free milk, flax/ chia seeds, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Leave the batter for a few minutes to thicken.
- Add the slice of bread to the dish and allow it to soak up the liquid.
- Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan over low-medium heat. Add the soaked bread to the pan and cook until crispy and golden, flipping occasionally.
- Enjoy hot with your favourite toppings!