Brunch in style with this vegan french toast! A healthier reinvention of the classic sweet breakfast, made with no eggs or dairy!
French toast is one of those things which seems impossible to make vegan. Can you get still have that eggy texture? Can you make french toast without dairy products?
Spoiler alert: you CAN.
My vegan french toast is the perfect sweet and healthy breakfast. Meaning it is totally acceptable to eat 8 days a week.
What INGREDIENTS will i need to make vegan french toast?
The main ingredient we are replacing in this recipe is eggs (which are not vegan). To recreate that thick eggy texture to our french toast batter, we are using ground flax seeds.
If you wish, you could replace the flax seeds with an equal quantity of chia seeds. Both seeds work in this recipe as they form a gel in the presence of water, which thickens the batter.
In place of cows milk, I use a dairy-free milk like soy or oat. You could even make your own almond milk!
Combine your flax/ chia and dairy-free milk with some sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla, and we have the perfect vegan french toast batter!
Plus we can make this batter in less than 3 minutes, with zero mess involved. Unless you are a clumsy person. Unfortunately I cannot take blame for that.
French toast topping ideas:
The best thing about french toast is that it’s really just a vessel for a range of tasty toppings! Here’s a few ways to top your french toast:
- Keep it classic with a little maple syrup and vegan butter.
- Serve with fresh berries, jam, and yogurt (as pictured).
- Caramelise some bananas and serve with homemade pistachio almond butter – swoon!
- For the serious chocoholics: drizzle with melted dark chocolate and a sprinkle of cacao nibs. And some brownie hunks on top, because why not?
Storage & variations:
- This french toast is best served immediately. Sorry meal preppers!
- You can sub date or coconut sugar in place of the white sugar to make this recipe naturally sweetened.
- Always serve with syrup. Syrup is mandatory.
More vegan breakfast Recipes:
Vegan French Toast Recipe
- 1 slice Bread I like sourdough
- 50 ml Dairy-Free Milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp Ground Flax Seeds or chia seeds
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon optional
- 1 tsp Caster Sugar can sub date or coconut sugar
- In a shallow dish, whisk together the dairy-free milk, flax/ chia seeds, cinnamon, and sugar.
- Leave the batter for a few minutes to thicken.
- Add the slice of bread to the dish and allow it to soak up the liquid.
- Heat a splash of oil in a frying pan over low-medium heat. Add the soaked bread to the pan and cook until crispy and golden, flipping occasionally.
- Enjoy hot with your favourite toppings!
- Best enjoyed immediately.