Epic Vegan Oreo Brownies
I usually like to keep things pretty healthy around here, but today we are throwing that all out the door. And for good reason. A chocolatey, fudgy, cookie-loaded reason.
Yes, friends, today we are making vegan oreo brownies. And not just any brownies, these brownies have a layer of oreos hidden in the middle!
Are oreos vegan?
You may be surprised to hear that your favourite chocolate sandwich cookie is suitable for vegans. However, please do check the packet before buying.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
I just know you’ll love this recipe! It’s:
- Vegan, and therefore eggless and dairy-free
- Made with simple, pantry-friendly ingredients that even non-vegans will find in their cupboards
- Loaded with oreos
- Universally loved by vegans and non-vegans alike!
How to make oreo brownies step-by-step:
The first step is to mix our dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl (photo 1). Then we pour in the wet ingredients (photo 2) and mix to form a smooth batter (photo 3).
Next, add half the batter to a greased 9×13 baking tray, and top with a layer of oreos (photo 4). Add the remaining batter and carefully spread it to cover (photo 5). Top with more crushed oreos (photo 6) and bake for 40-45 minutes.
And that’s it! These vegan oreo brownies are super simple to make. The hardest part is waiting for them to cool before you slice them!
Tips for slicing brownies perfectly:
Are you looking to get that perfect clean cut to your brownies? Here are a couple of things you should do:
- Leave the brownies to cool COMPLETELY. I know its tough, but it really helps when slicing the brownies for them to be as cold as possible. I recommend leaving the brownies to cool in the tray at room temperature for 30 minutes, then transferring to the fridge for another 30 minutes.
- Grease the tray thoroughly using butter or oil before adding the brownie batter. This helps to remove the brownies from the tray.
- Use a serrated knife when slicing the brownies. This is particularly important when slicing through the oreo cookies. You can also clean your knife between slices if you are finding it quite sticky, though I do not usually have this problem.
What if I don’t have vegan butter or milk?
I recommend making these brownies with vegan butter to add richness. I like to use unsalted Flora Plant in the UK. However, if you do not have vegan butter, you can sub a flavourless oil such as coconut oil, vegetable oil, or sunflower oil.
Note that if you are using a salted vegan butter, you can omit the salt from the recipe.
If you do not have dairy-free milk, you can use water instead.
Variations on this recipe:
- Not a fan of oreos? Swap them out for any cookie of your choosing!
- Try adding a layer of peanut or cookie butter after the oreo layer (if you’re as big a fan of peanut butter as I am then I know you’ll love my peanut butter brownie recipe too!)
- Why not swap out the top layer of brownie batter for a layer of cookie dough?
I hope you enjoy these vegan oreo brownies! As always, let me know if you like them by leaving a comment and rating below. You can also keep updated with me on Instagram, Pinterest and Facebook. I hope to see you there!
Epic Vegan Oreo Brownies
- 2 cups/ 280 grams All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 cup/ 90 grams Cocoa Powder
- 1.5 cups/ 300 grams White Sugar
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt omit if your vegan butter is salted
- 1 cup/ 200 grams Vegan Butter melted, can substitute 1 cup oil
- 1 cup/ 230 ml Coffee either 1.5 tsp instant coffee dissolved in 1 cup water or 1 freshly brewed espresso watered down to make 1 cup
- 1/2 cup/ 115 ml Dairy-Free Milk of choice, can substitute 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 packs/ 300 grams Oreo Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F. Generously grease a 9×13 baking tray with oil or vegan butter.
- Prepare the coffee by either dissolving 1.5 tsp instant coffee in 1 cup water, or watering down 1 freshly brewed espresso to make 1 cup. Set aside.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk to remove any lumps.
- Pour in the coffee, melted vegan butter or oil, dairy free milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour half the brownie batter into the baking tray and spread out evenly using a spatula. Arrange 20 oreo cookies in a 4×5 grid atop the brownie dough.
- Top with the remaining brownie batter and spread evenly to cover the cookies. Break the remaining oreo cookies into quarters and arrange on top of the brownies.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes before leaving to cool for 30 minutes in the tray at room temperature. Enjoy warm or, if you'd like your brownies perfectly sliced, chill for an additional 30 minutes in the fridge before slicing with a serrated knife.
- If you do not like oreos, feel free to switch them out for any cookie of your choosing!
NUTRITIONServing: 1 brownie Calories: 213 kcal | Fat: 7.6g | Saturated Fat: 2.2g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 343g | Carbohydrates: 35.8g | Fiber: 1.9g | Sugar: 20.8g | Protein: 2.7g