I usually like to keep things pretty healthy around here, but today we are throwing that all out the door. And for good reason. A chocolatey, fudgy, cookie-loaded reason. Yes, friends, today we are making vegan oreo brownies.
Best of all, these brownies have a layer of oreos hidden in the middle!
Are oreos vegan?
You may be surprised to hear that your favourite chocolate sandwich cookie is suitable for vegans. However, please do check the packet before buying.
Why you’ll love this recipe:
I just know you’ll love this recipe! It’s:
- Vegan, and therefore eggless and dairy-free
- Made with simple, pantry-friendly ingredients that even non-vegans will find in their cupboards
- Loaded with oreos
- Universally loved by vegans and non-vegans alike!
How to make oreo brownies step-by-step
The first step is to mix our dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl then pour in the wet ingredients (photo 1). Mix to form a smooth batter (photo 2).
Add half of the brownie batter to a greased 9x13 baking tray and top with a layer of oreos (photo 3). Carefully spread over the remaining batter, top with more crushed oreos, then bake!
And that’s it! These vegan oreo brownies are super simple to make. The hardest part is waiting for them to cool before you slice them.
Notes on this recipe
- Leave the brownies to cool COMPLETELY before slicing to get a neat cut. Also make sure to use a serrated knife to slice the brownies!
- Thoroughly grease your baking tray before adding the brownie batter.
- Feel free to swap the oreos for any cookie of your choosing! You can also sandwich the brownie batter between a layer of cookie dough.
You can swap the plant-based milk for cow's milk (if not vegan) or water.
The vegan butter adds richness and depth of flavour however you can swap it for dairy butter (if not vegan) or a flavourless oil such as coconut, vegetable or sunflower.
You certainly can. Feel free to substitute with equal amounts water or milk.
These brownies are delicious as they are but would also taste AMAZING if you add a layer of peanut butter after the oreo layer. If you're a huge PB fan like me, I know you'll love my vegan peanut butter brownies too!
Epic Vegan Oreo Brownies
- 2 cups/ 280 grams All Purpose Flour
- ¾ cup/ 90 grams Cocoa Powder
- 1.5 cups/ 300 grams White Sugar
- ½ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Salt omit if your vegan butter is salted
- 1 cup/ 200 grams Vegan Butter melted, can substitute 1 cup oil
- 1 cup/ 230 ml Coffee either 1.5 teaspoon instant coffee dissolved in 1 cup water or 1 freshly brewed espresso watered down to make 1 cup
- ½ cup/ 115 ml Dairy-Free Milk of choice, can substitute ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 packs/ 300 grams Oreo Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 350°F. Generously grease a 9x13 baking tray with oil or vegan butter.
- Prepare the coffee by either dissolving 1.5 teaspoon instant coffee in 1 cup water, or watering down 1 freshly brewed espresso to make 1 cup. Set aside.
- Add the flour, cocoa powder, sugar, baking powder and salt to a large mixing bowl and whisk to remove any lumps.
- Pour in the coffee, melted vegan butter or oil, dairy free milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk until a smooth batter forms.
- Pour half the brownie batter into the baking tray and spread out evenly using a spatula. Arrange 20 oreo cookies in a 4x5 grid atop the brownie dough.
- Top with the remaining brownie batter and spread evenly to cover the cookies. Break the remaining oreo cookies into quarters and arrange on top of the brownies.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes before leaving to cool for 30 minutes in the tray at room temperature. Enjoy warm or, if you'd like your brownies perfectly sliced, chill for an additional 30 minutes in the fridge before slicing with a serrated knife.
- If you do not like oreos, feel free to switch them out for any cookie of your choosing!