These fudgy vegan peanut butter brownies are soon to be your go-to dessert. They are made with just 9 ingredients, and are ready in 40 minutes!
Today’s my birthday! Which is a perfect excuse to eat all the sweet things, including these vegan peanut butter brownies. They are dense and fudgy, sweet and salty, and oh so perfectly chocolatey. What more could you want from a dessert?
Now, it’s time for me to make a confession. If I want to eat a brownie, I want the real deal. I’m not going to disguise any root vegetables or legumes in these babies. I’m going to make brownies with actual ingredients that don’t give you chocolatey-vegetable-cake nightmares. These are easy. These are lovable. And everyone can make and enjoy them, vegan or not. Now that’s my kinda recipe!
To showcase my love for super decadent brownies, I’m using chocolate in not one, but three different forms. THREE. Trust me, anything less is sub-par.
What’s in these vegan peanut butter brownies?
- Bananas – The sweeter and riper, the better. Mashed banana acts as an ‘egg’ in this recipe, providing a rich and creamy taste. Not to mention that peanut butter + chocolate + banana is a match made in HEAVEN.
- Sunflower Oil – Anyone else surprised at the fact that so far, this recipe is kinda healthy?! Don’t worry friends, things are about to get real chocolatey real soon!
- Sugar – So your brownies can be just as sweet as you are 🙂
- Melted Dark Chocolate – Now that’s what I’m talking about! I’ve always made brownies using melted chocolate, and they turn out gooey and fudgy every. time.
- Vanilla Extract – I think adding just a little vanilla to brownies helps to bring out all the delicious flavours. Plus, vanilla goes with pretty much everything.
- Flour + Baking Powder – These are rather unexciting ingredients, but without them, we would have mushy chocolate pancakes. Not cool.
- Cocoa Powder – Because nothing says brownies like cocoa powder! Using cocoa powder in place of a portion of the dry ingredients adds further richness to these beauties.
- Chopped Dark Chocolate – I promised you three forms of chocolate! To me, brownies without chocolate chunks are just chocolate cake.
- Peanut Butter – As if this recipe couldn’t get any more decadent, a heaping spoon of peanut butter is swirled through the batter right before baking, giving these brownies a sweet and salty vibe. Mmm…
Tips for getting perfect brownies every time:
Now, I’ve made a fair share of brownies in my time. And I’ve had my fair share of brownie fails too. The batch that’s as flat as a pancake, the batch which stayed runny no matter how long it was in the oven, and the batch that no one knows about because I’ve consumed the evidence – we’ve all been there. But I’ve compiled a few tips and tricks to make sure your brownies come out perfect every time:
- It does matter which type of chocolate you use. One time I made brownies with 85% dark chocolate, and the lack of fat meant the batter was nowhere near as runny + smooth as usual. I advise using chocolate with around 50-60% cocoa solid content, so your batter is silky smooth. For the additional chocolate chunks however, feel free to go as dark as you dare.
- Sift that cocoa powder. If you don’t sift your cocoa, three things happen: a) you get powdery lumps of cocoa in your batter, b) you end up with a classic case of ‘pancake brownies’, and c) you will be forever haunted by me in your dreams…hehe.
- Leave them to cool completely. If you want to get perfectly-cut brownie squares, you need to leave them to cool completely before slicing. Preferably in the fridge overnight, but I totally understand if you just can’t wait that long to eat them 🙂
I do hope you try this recipe! If you give it a go, tag me on Instagram @shivanilf and use the hashtag #shivanilovesfood. I love seeing your creations!
If you like this recipe, you may also like:
- Vegan Peanut Butter Milkshake
- Peanut Butter Cups
- Sticky Chocolate Energy Balls
- Pistachio Almond Butter
- GF + Vegan Chocolate Tarts
Vegan Peanut Butter Brownies
For the mixture:
- 1 Banana ripe
- 115 grams Dark Chocolate
- 115 ml Sunflower Oil
- 100 grams Caster Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 90 grams Self Raising Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 40 grams Cocoa Powder
- 85 grams Dark Chocolate roughly chopped
- 50 grams Peanut Butter smooth or crunchy
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Grease and line a 20cm square baking tray with greaseproof paper.
- Break up the 115g chocolate and melt until smooth. (I like to do this in the microwave, by carefully heating on the medium setting in 30 second bursts, stirring after each interval). Set aside to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the banana until creamy. Add the olive oil and sugar, and whisk until well combined. Pour in the cooled melted chocolate and whisk together.
- In a separate bowl, weigh out the dry ingredients. Gradually sift them in, folding the batter after each addition. (I would do this in 3-4 increments.)
- Add the chopped chocolate to the batter and mix to combine. Pour into the baking tray and swirl through the peanut butter.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, then remove from the oven and leave to cool completely before cutting into squares. Enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Tag me on Instagram @shivanilf #shivanilovesfood!