This chocolate chip baked oatmeal is a great make-ahead breakfast: soft and chewy oats laced with macadamias and chocolate chunks. Vegan and gluten-free.
Ever have that kinda morning where you wake up 10 minutes before you need to leave the house? Well, that’s me some days (okay, most days.) And it’s times like this that having a pre-prepped, wholesome breakfast comes in so handy. Cue this chocolate chip baked oatmeal. A perfectly soft and chewy oaty interior laced with creamy macadamias, topped with pools of melted dark chocolate. Oh YES.
What do you need to make chocolate chip baked oatmeal?
- Oats – obviously! If you know me, you’ll know I love all things oats, and this baked oatmeal is no exception. In fact, I think it may have intensified my love for this grain.
- Coconut Flour – this adds a delicious cakey texture to our baked oatmeal. It’s more of a breakfast cake, now that I come to think about it. And who wouldn’t want to eat CAKE for breakfast?
- Baking Powder – this adds a little lift to the recipe so it’s light and fluffy as opposed to dense and stodgey.
- Date Sugar – for sweetness! This is completely optional of course, but the fact you are reading this tells me you have a sweet tooth 😉
- Salt – a little goes a long way.
- Vanilla Extract – who doesn’t love vanilla, right? And especially in secretly healthy, deliciously cakey things like this recipe.
- Soy Milk – this is the liquid in this recipe which helps to bind everything together. You could even make your own almond milk, if you wish.
- Macadamia Nuts – the creamiest of all the nuts! Alternatively, you could use walnuts, peanuts, almonds, whatever your heart desires. Or omit to make them nut-free.
- Dark Chocolate – I’m on a real chocolate kick lately (exhibit A: brownies) so naturally I had to include some in this recipe. I used chopped dark chocolate chunks, but you could use chips if you prefer. Or both. Tip: if you would like to make double chocolate oatmeal, then replace 1 tbsp of the coconut flour with 1 tbsp cocoa powder. The result is a super tasty brownie kinda situation which is oh so GOOD.
How to make baked oatmeal:
This recipe is TOO EASY. One bowl, 9 ingredients, and endless happiness. Well, until you’ve eaten it all.
Simply mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, stir in the wet, then add your mix-ins. Then decant into some oven-proof serving dishes, bake at 180 for 20 minutes, then enjoy the chocolatey goodness. I like to make two portions and refrigerate one for breakfast the next day. You can reheat them in the microwave until they are once again warm and gooey. Mmmm.
I hope you like this chocolate chip baked oatmeal! It’s:
- and oh so tasty!
If you like this recipe, you may also like:
- Vegan peanut butter brownies
- Caramelised banana oatmeal
- Nutty vegan granola bars
- The best vegan pancakes
- Apple crumble muffins
Chocolate Chip Baked Oatmeal
- 100 grams Oats
- 2 tablespoons Coconut Flour
- 1 tablespoon Date Sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- pinch Salt
- 200 ml Soy Milk
- 30 grams Macadamia Nuts roughly chopped
- 30 grams Dark Chocolate roughly chopped
- In a medium bowl, mix together the oats, coconut flour, date sugar, baking powder and salt.
- Add the vanilla extract and milk. Mix well to combine, then stir in the macadamias.
- Divide the mixture between two oven-proof serving dishes. Top each with the dark chocolate.
- Bake for 20 minutes at 180 degrees. Serve warm.
- Tip: make a double batch, and store extras in the fridge. Simply reheat in the microwave for a quick breakfast.
- If you would like to make double chocolate oatmeal, then replace 1 tbsp of the coconut flour with 1 tbsp cocoa powder.
Did you make this recipe? Tag me on Instagram @shivanilf #shivanilovesfood!