Today is your lucky day, my friend, as I am sharing my EASY whole wheat crepes recipe with you. And guess what – they’re vegan!
Eggs usually provide richness to crepes, but as they don’t act as a binder or a raising agent, we don’t need an egg replacement in this recipe. The result is crepes which are still thin and sweet, but are slightly lighter. Translation: you can eat MORE crepes – yay!
How to make vegan crepes
Whisk together whole wheat flour and sugar in a bowl (photo 1). Make a well in the centre and pour in dairy-free milk and sunflower oil (photo 2). Whisk to form a smooth batter.
Cook the crepes in a frying pan with a little spray oil. Flip the crepes when the top of the crepe is dry (photo 3).
Tips for making perfect crepes every time:
- Make sure your pan is really hot. If your pan is too cold, the crepes will not cook evenly.
- Use a ladle to portion out and spread the batter. Quickly spread out the batter working in circular motions using the back of the ladle.
- Grease your pan with spray oil. This forms a thin, even layer on the pan which prevents the crepes sticking. If you do not have spray oil, you can grease your pan using an oiled paper towel.
Ways to enjoy crepes
The best thing about crepes? All the tasty toppings! Here are some of my favourites:
- Fresh berries and maple syrup
- Sliced bananas and chocolate sauce
- Spinach, sliced tomato, cheese and basil
Make sure you are working quickly in spreading the crepe batter out with your ladle. If you are finding this difficult, try moving the pan off the heat before adding the batter, then return the pan to the heat.
To make filled crepes, simply prepare the crepes as indicated then add the filling before you take the crepe off the pan. Fold the crepe around the filling and cook further on both sides until crisp.
More vegan breakfast recipes:
Whole Wheat CrepesLeave a Review Print Recipe
- 1 cup/ 150 grams Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 ¼ cups/ 300 ml Plant-based Milk of choice
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- 1 tablespoon Sugar omit for savoury crepes
- Warm up a frying pan over medium heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour and sugar. Make a well in the centre and pour in the non-dairy milk and sunflower oil. Whisk the batter until smooth.
- Spray the frying pan with a little spray oil. Ladle in about 2 tbsp of batter and quickly, using circular motions, spread out the batter using the ladle.
- Once the top of the crepe is dry and the edges are just beginning to brown, flip the crepe over. Cook until deep brown spots appear on the underside.
- Repeat for the remaining batter, then enjoy with your favourite toppings!
- The first crepe will look a little odd, but that’s just the law of pancakes 🙂
- Leftover batter can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container and cooked the next day.