What’s more comforting than a large bowl of oatmeal? A large bowl of oatmeal topped with caramelised bananas of course! This caramelised banana oatmeal is flavoured with cinnamon and is the perfect cosy breakfast.
Why you’ll love this recipe
This recipe is such a keeper! Here are just three reasons why:
- It’s packed with fibre and plant-based protein
- It’s naturally vegan and gluten-free
- Caramelised bananas. DUH.
How to make caramelised banana oatmeal
Prepare the creamy oatmeal by cooking oats on the stovetop with milk, water, cinnamon and salt (photo 1).
To caramelise the bananas, melt coconut oil in a pan then sprinkle over brown sugar. Top with sliced bananas and cook until golden and caramelised (photo 2). SWOON.
Psst! If you like bananas, you’ll love my chocolate chip banana bread!
NOtes on this recipe
- You can use any milk of your choosing to prepare oatmeal. I love soy milk as it is high in protein.
- Not sure what to do with the remaining 1/2 a banana? Freeze it to use in this tasty matcha smoothie bowl!
- When caramelising the bananas, watch them carefully as they may burn.
You can use porridge oats, rolled oats or steel cut oats in this recipe – whichever you prefer. If using steel cut, be sure to increase the cooking time as needed.
Yes! White sugar also works well for caramelising the bananas.
Bananas are a good source of fibre and potassium. The extra sugar and fat added during the caramelisation process does mask some health benefits, but the result is a tasty treat!
Caramelised Banana OatmealLeave a Review Print Recipe
For the Oatmeal:
- ½ cup/ 50 grams Oats
- ½ cup/ 130 ml Milk of choice
- ½ cup/ 130 ml Water
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- pinch Salt
For the Caramelised Bananas:
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp Brown Sugar
- 1/2 Banana
- Add the oats, milk of choice, water, cinnamon, and salt to a small pot and stir well. Cook on low heat for about 7 minutes or until desired consistency, stirring frequently.
- Meanwhile, melt the coconut oil in a frying pan over medium heat. Spread out the oil then evenly sprinkle the brown sugar on top.
- Slice the banana in half lengthwise and place on top of the sugar with the flat side facing down. Cook the bananas for a few minutes each side until golden and caramelised.
- Pour the oatmeal into your favourite bowl and top with the caramelised banana and any other toppings of your choosing. Enjoy!
- Best served immediately.
- You can freeze the remaining 1/2 banana for use in smoothies, or make a double portion to enjoy with a loved one 😉