Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
This chocolate chip banana bread is my go-to bake for family and friends! It’s rich, moist, chocolatey, and no one will be able to tell it’s vegan!
Why you’ll love this recipe:
I just know you’ll love this recipe! It’s:
- Super easy to prepare in just 10 minutes
- Vegan friendly
- Loaded with chocolate chips
- Moist, flavourful, and not too sweet
HOw to make chocolate chip banana bread
Mash the banana in a large bowl then add dairy-free milk, oil and a flaxseed egg. Then add the dry ingredients: flour, baking powder, cinnamon and sugar.
Then it’s chocolate time! We’re adding chocolate chips to the banana bread batter AND on top, then baking our banana bread until golden.
Notes on this recipe
- Use ripe and spotty bananas for optimal sweetness.
- Don’t overmix the batter as it can become tough.
- During the first 30 minutes of baking, don’t open the oven as the banana bread will sink.
Yes – swap the brown sugar for coconut sugar and use naturally-sweetened chocolate chips.
If you are in the UK, you can find vegan dark chocolate chips in Sainsbury’s.
Yes! Feel free to use any chocolate of your choosing 🙂
Variations on this recipe:
- If you do not like chocolate (whilst they are a rare breed, unfortunately these people do exist) you can omit the chocolate to make classic vegan banana bread.
- To make things EVEN chocolaty-er, you can sub 3 tbsp of the flour for cocoa powder.
- To make mocha banana bread, switch half of the soy milk for room-temperature brewed coffee.
more vegan baking recipes to try:
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread (vegan)
- 1 tbsp Ground Flaxseed aka flaxseed meal
- 3 Medium Bananas the riper and spottier the better!
- ½ cup/ 125 ml Soy Milk or non-dairy milk of choice
- 3 tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 2 cups/ 250 grams Plain Flour aka all-purpose flour
- ½ cup/ 120 grams Soft Light Brown Sugar or caster sugar
- 3 tsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- pinch Salt
- 3 oz/ 90 grams Dark Chocolate Chips or chunks
- Prepare the flaxseed egg by mixing 1 tbsp ground flaxseed with 2.5 tbsp water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash the bananas until few lumps remain. Mix in the soy milk, sunflower oil and thickened flaxseed egg.
- Add the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and cinnamon. Mix until just combined.
- Mix in 2oz/ 60 grams of the chocolate chips. Transfer the mixture to a loaf tin, top with the remaining 1oz/30 grams chocolate chips and bake at 180°C/350°F for 45-50 minutes until golden.
- Leave to cool before slicing and enjoying!
- See above blog post for recipe variations.
NUTRITIONServing size: 1/8 of the loaf Calories: 321 kcal | Fat: 9.6g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 3mg | Sodium: 40mg | Carbohydrates: 55 | Fiber: 2.9g | Sugar: 24g | Protein: 5.3g Recipe adapted from Loving it Vegan