Fool your children with this super tasty, super secretly HEALTHY hidden vegetable pasta sauce! Vegan, gluten-free, and meal-prep friendly!
Eeep – today’s my birthday! I can’t believe I’m 19 years old. Now I definitely won’t be able to get child discounts for anything 🙁
I was casually scheduling my blog posts for this month and realised that today’s recipe for hidden vegetable pasta sauce was due on the same day as my birthday. Not quite as decadent as these peanut butter brownies I shared for my birthday last year. But you know what? This pasta sauce is a different kind of beautiful – it’s packed with hidden veg, velvety smooth and not to mention one portion is 2 of your 5 a day! (trust me, I did the maths)
I’m not sure if you’ve noticed, but I feel like there’s been a ‘shift’ in the content I’ve been sharing lately. It’s less veganized desserts and more healthy vegan meals. I like sharing more of this style of content with you and I hope you are enjoying it to! But in case you were interested, here’s why you are seeing more savoury content on SLF at the moment:
- My student accommodation ovens are terrible – they are incredibly slow and since baking is a science, it’s harder for me to produce perfect bakes.
- I don’t have the time – of course my degree is my priority but the blog is a close second. Nevertheless, if I’m spending time cooking, I want to be getting meals out of it, which I can portion out and store for later.
- I want to share more real food with you! My vision is for the blog to be a place where you can come when you don’t know what to make for dinner, and be presented with myriad options of healthy vegan recipes to make 🙂
I hope that clears some things up for you, friends! Talking of clear, one thing which is now most definitely NOT clear is my white t shirt following the photo shoot for this pasta. The shoot was a lot of fun though! I recently learnt a pasta styling tip from Izy Hossack (check out her gorgeous blog Top with Cinnamon) where you pick up the pasta with your hands and scoop it round onto the plate. The result is rather pretty and creates a lot of movement in these photos.
Okay let’s talk about this pasta sauce again now cus I can’t believe I’ve ranted for so long without telling you how AMAZING it is. I had an impromptu dinner with friends yesterday and served this pasta sauce with some linguine. They were obsessed with the sauce and even asked me for the recipe! Also quick shoutout to my uni friends who have been trying my recipes and making me smile eryyday cus you love them so much <3
how to make Hidden vegetable pasta sauce step by step:
Step 1: roast the vegetables
This healthy vegan pasta sauce starts with LOTS of veggies. We will roast the veggies until golden to bring out the flavours. I like to roast them in the oven for 35-40 minutes, but if you are in a pinch you can pan-fry the vegetables to speed things up.
My favourite vegetables to use in this recipe are peppers, onions, garlic, broccoli, and aubergine. But feel free to use whatever you like! Carrots, cauliflower and courgettes would also work very well in this sauce. Just keep in mind that the colour of the vegetables will affect the sauce, so I wouldn’t recommend adding too many green vegetables as the end result will be brown.
Step 2: blend the sauce
The next step is to add the roasted vegetables to a blender with cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, and some seasonings. Then we will blitz until the sauce is completely smooth and the veggies are perfectly disguised. DROOL.
If your blender is pretty small you may want to do this step in batches.
Step 3: serve with some pasta!
Boil some pasta during the last 5 minutes of the vegetables roasting. Then serve the pasta tossed into the freshly blended sauce!
storage and reheating:
One of my favourite things about this recipe is that it’s super meal-preppable. I love making a big batch of this sauce at the weekend to enjoy throughout the week!
This recipe makes 6 portions. I like to freeze individual portions in containers to reheat when I’m in the mood for pasta. The sauce will last in the freezer for up to 1 month, and in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container.
To reheat the frozen pasta sauce, you can either microwave for a few minutes or add the frozen sauce to a pot over medium-low heat and allow it to defrost. Whichever method you choose, ensure the sauce is well-heated through before serving.
what to serve with hidden vegetable pasta sauce:
Of course this sauce tastes ahhmazing with pasta, but here are 3 more ways to enjoy it!
- Use as a healthier alternative to pizza sauce
- Use in lasagnas and casseroles
- Toss through some quinoa, beans and vegetables to make a quick quinoa salad!
more meal-preppable recipes:
I hope you try this recipe! If you do, I’d love for you to tag me on Instagram @shivanilf so I can see how it goes. You can also keep updated with me on Facebook and Pinterest – I hope to see you there!
How To Make Hidden Vegetable Pasta Sauce
- 1 Red Onion
- 2 Peppers red/orange work best
- 1/3 head Broccoli
- 1 Aubergine
- 2 cloves Garlic
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 200 grams Cherry Tomatoes
- 4 tbsp Tomato Puree
- 1 sprig Fresh Basil
- 1 tsp Chilli Flakes optional
- Cut the vegetables into 1/2 inch chunks and add to a roasting tray with the vegetable oil. Season with salt and pepper, toss together and roast at 180°C/350°F for 35-40 minutes.
- Leave the vegetables to cool a little before adding to a blender with the rest of the ingredients. Blend on low speed until completely smooth.
- Serve with freshly cooked pasta!
- You can use any vegetables of your choosing in this recipe! See the blog post for some more suggestions.
- The sauce can be stored in the fridge for 3-4 days in an airtight container, or in the freezer for up to 1 month.
- Reheat in the microwave or on the stovetop. Just ensure the sauce is well heated through before serving.
NUTRITIONServing size: 1 portion served with 100g cooked pasta Calories: 356 kcal | Fat: 5.1g | Saturated Fat: 0.6g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 39mg | Carbohydrates: 68.3g | Fiber: 5.1g | Sugar: 7.1g | Protein: 13.7g