Incoming: vegan coconut bars. Aka your new no-bake dessert obsession!
These healthy(ish) bars feature a date-oat base, a sweet coconut layer, and a thick slab of daily chocolate. Because chocolate is ALWAYS a good idea.
Psst! If you’re a chocoholic like me, you’ll love my chocolate-dipped ice cream sandwiches!
Why you’ll love this recipe
I just know you’ll love this recipe! It’s:
- Vegan-friendly and gluten-free
- Made with just 6 healthy ingredients
- Deliciously coconutty and chocolatey!
How to make coconut bars
As always, you can find the full recipe and instructions at the bottom of this blog post.
Make the base by blending oats and dates until combined (photo 1). Press into a loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper (photo 2).
Prepare the coconut layer by mixing coconut oil, maple syrup and desiccated coconut (photo 3).
Press the coconut mixture atop the base (photo 3). Melt some dark chocolate (photo 4) and pour on top, then sprinkle with coconut flakes (photo 5). Freeze until firm then slice into squares and enjoy!
Notes on this recipe
- Make sure to use desiccated coconut and not coconut flakes in this recipe. Just like in these homemade coconut ladoos, you’ll want to use the finer form of grated coconut to ensure the texture holds together.
- To help press the base into the tin, use a square of greaseproof paper and the bottom of a glass to press the mixture down.
Of course! Use whatever chocolate of your choosing. Personally I think using entirely white chocolate may make the result too sweet, however swirling white and dark chocolate together is a good (and very pretty) idea!
You can substitute agave syrup or honey for the maple syrup.
These coconut bars will last in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
More chocolatey vegan recipes:
Vegan Coconut BarsLeave a Review Print Recipe
For the base:
- ⅜ cup/ 75 grams Pitted Dates
- ½ cup/ 50 grams Rolled Oats
- 1 heaped tsp Coconut Oil
For the Coconut Layer:
- 3 tbsp/ 40 grams Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp/ 30 grams Maple Syrup or agave syrup
- 1 cup/ 80 grams Dessicated Coconut
For the Chocolatey Topping:
- 4 oz/ 115 grams Dark Chocolate
- 1 tsp Coconut Flakes for decoration
- Make the base: Add the base ingredients to a blender/food processor reserving 20 grams (a few tablespoons) of the oats. Mix well until a sticky dough forms. Transfer to a bowl, and use your hands to mix in the remaining oats.
- Press the base mixture into a loaf tin lined with grease-proof paper. Chill in the freezer for 5 minutes whilst you prepare the next layer.
- Make the coconut layer: In a medium-sized microwaveable bowl, melt the coconut oil. Mix in the maple syrup and dessicated coconut and stir to combine. Press this mixture on top of the base layer and return to the freezer for a further 10 minutes.
- Make the chocolate layer: Melt the dark chocolate in the microwave on medium heat stirring every 30 seconds. Pour over the coconut layer and decorate with coconut flakes (optional). Return to the freezer for a further 15 minutes or until firm.
- Remove from the freezer a few minutes before slicing into 8 squares with a flat-edged knife. Serve and enjoy!
- These vegan coconut bars will last in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.