This Mexican green rice recipe is my latest side dish obsession. It's perfectly fluffy and flavoursome, and packs a slight punch thanks to some fresh chilli. But perhaps best of all, it's the most gorgeous green hue. SWOON!
Green rice is simply white rice cooked with some extra blended ingredients, allowing the rice to absorb fragrant flavours. It's the perfect side dish to enjoy alongside burritos, fajitas, enchiladas and more.
Why you'll love this recipe:
I just know you'll love this recipe! It's:
- Packed with flavour and spice
- Naturally vegan and gluten-free
- Comes together in just 25 minutes!
How to make Mexican green rice:
Blend together onion, garlic, fresh coriander and spinach, chilli, lime juice and spices (photo 1) until smooth (photo 2).
It looks a little like a green smoothie doesn't it? But trust me, you don't want to drink this smoothie! If you are looking for a tasty green drink which won't give you perpetual garlic breath, check out my favourite green smoothie recipe - it's also 4 of your 5 a day!
Next we'll cook the green liquid with washed rice and water (photo 3).
After about 10 minutes of cooking we'll have some perfectly fluffy, magically green Mexican rice. Simples!
How to make perfect rice every time
A lot of people struggle to cook good rice. But with my top tips, you can enjoy perfect rice every time!
- Wash your rice first. This is SO important for yielding fluffy, non-sticky rice! To wash rice, submerge your rice in water in a bowl or pot and use your hand to 'swish' the rice around. When the water becomes cloudy, drain it and repeat until the water runs clear.
- Don't add too much water. The general ratio for cooking rice is 1 part rice to 2 parts water - I like to start with a little less and only add more if the rice needs it.
- Don't stir the rice too much. In fact, actively avoid stirring the rice. If you stir the rice it becomes sticky.
- Don't touch the rice. Once the rice is boiling we are going to cover it for 10 minutes and cook on low. During this time don't touch it, don't open the lid to look at it, don't even THINK ABOUT IT. Just let it do it's thing!
Big rice fan? Check out this delicious vegan pilau rice recipe, which is a reader favourite!
If you are preparing this rice ahead of time, make sure to follow food safety guidelines when it comes to storing and reheating.
This vegan green rice makes the perfect accompaniment to a range of Mexican dishes. Serve with burritos, enchiladas, or even turn into tasty burrito bowls!
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please leave a rating + review below and share your photos on Instagram tagging #shivanilovesfood!
Mexican Green RiceLEAVE A REVIEW PRINT RECIPE
- 1 ½ cups/ 270 grams White Basmati Rice see notes for brown rice option
- ½ Red Onion roughly chopped
- 1 clove Garlic
- 1 cup/ 40 grams Fresh Spinach
- ¼ cup/ 5 grams Fresh Coriander plus extra to serve
- ½ Fresh Red Chilli or more if desired
- ¼ Lime juiced
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Dried Coriander or dhana
- ¼ teaspoon Dried Cumin or jeera
- Add the rice to a large pot and cover with water. Use your hands to wash the rice until the water becomes opaque (this is the starch). Drain the starchy water and repeat this process until the water runs clear.
- After the final wash cover the rice with 2.5 cups/ 650 ml water. Set the pot aside.
- Add the onion, garlic, spinach, coriander, chilli, lime juice and spices to a blender along with ¼ cup/ 65 ml water. Blend until smooth.
- Add the blended mixture to the rice and water and mix with a spoon to combine.
- Bring the pot to the boil on high heat. Once the rice has reached a rolling boil, turn the heat down to low and cover the pot with a lid. Cook for 10 minutes. During this time, don't open the lid or touch the rice - just let it do it's thing!
- After 10 minutes remove the lid and fluff up the rice with a fork. Taste the rice - if it is still not cooked, add an additional ¼ cup - ½ cup water and cook for an additional 5 minutes until the rice is soft.
- Taste the rice and season with extra salt if desired. Serve the Mexican green rice hot with lime wedges and fresh coriander. Enjoy!
- If you are using brown rice, increase the cooking time by 5-10 minutes. You may also need more water, so check after the 10 minute mark.
- This recipe yields green rice with a subtle kick - if you'd like an extra punch then add a whole chilli or some chilli flakes!
- Please follow food safety guidelines when storing and reheating rice.
Loved this recipe ! So easy to make and very versatile with different meals!
YAY so glad you liked it my friend 🙂