Crispy Tofu Burgers with Rainbow Vegetables
Meet my latest lunch/dinner/breakfast obsession: crispy tofu burgers! Yes, you read that correctly – these burgers are so good I’d happily eat them for breakfast (and maybe I have.)
Unfortunately I have some sad news this week – I might have to have my wisdom teeth removed. Bad news = the excruciating pain, but good news = I get to have all the smoothies and ice cream I want afterwards! In light of this I’m going to be sharing all the crispy recipes now whilst I can still enjoy them, before I head off to mashed potato central.
(psst – did you read my last post? I shared a step-by-step recipe for perfect vegan chocolate chip cookies!)
Back to these burgers. They’re a fusion between two of my favourite meals – tofu stir fry and burgers! We have the flavours and colours of a stir fry, with the texture and satisfaction of a burger. They’re really the best of both worlds!
Why you’ll love these tofu burgers:
- They’re ready in just 20 minutes.
- They’re packed with plant-based protein from the tofu as well as vitamins from the rainbow vegetables.
- The tofu is perfectly crispy thanks to my handy trick.
- They’re bursting with flavour thanks to a quick 3-ingredient dipping sauce!
The secret to perfectly crispy tofu:
The tofu in these sandwiches is so crispy, you can hear the crunch when you bite into it from the next room! To make our tofu perfectly crispy, we are going to:
- Cut the tofu into slices at least 1cm thick. This ensures the tofu is crispy on the outside and soft in the inside! You can either make one large piece of tofu, or 2-3 smaller pieces per burger. I prefer smaller pieces as they have more surface area, which means more space for the crispy coating!
- Coat them in a mixture of cornflour (cornstarch), salt and chilli powder. The cornflour is key here as this is what makes our tofu extra crunchy!
- Shallow fry for 3-4 minutes each side. And don’t touch them – it’s 3 minutes one side, flip, 3 minutes the other side. This allows the cornflour coating to crisp up evenly.
Once you have prepared the crispy tofu, simply layer in a bun with rainbow vegetables and the sticky sauce! I used red cabbage, carrots, and spinach in these burgers, but feel free to use whatever is preferred or seasonal to you.
Recipe tips & variations:
- If you like, you can add 1/2 tsp chili flakes to the cornflour mixture for an extra spicy kick!
- You’ll want the oil to coat the bottom of your frying pan so you can shallow-fry the tofu. This is what makes it delightfully crispy! I found 2 tbsp oil to be enough for my frying pan, though if yours is larger you may need more oil.
- Switch up the veggies for whatever you have on hand – lettuce, kale, cucumber and sliced onions would all work well.
- Looking for a burger that’s more filling? Try my easy vegan black bean burgers!
- When layering the burgers, keep the sauce away from the tofu to ensure the tofu stays crisp! Ensure the fried tofu is layered between hardy vegetables like carrots and cabbage, so the crunchy texture isn’t lost.
These tofu burgers are the perfect thing to make for a light lunch, or for dinner along some baked sweet potato fries. They are easily made gluten-free by serving in gluten-free bread rolls. These tofu burgers are best enjoyed hot whilst the tofu is still crisp.
More healthy vegan recipes:
Crispy Tofu Burgers with Rainbow Vegetables
For the crispy tofu burgers:
- 3.5 oz/ 100 grams Firm Tofu silken tofu will not work for this recipe
- 2 tbsp Cornstarch aka cornflour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 1/4 Red Cabbage shredded
- 1 Carrot grated
- 1 handful Spinach
- 2 Wholemeal Bread Rolls
For the sticky sauce:
- 1 tbsp Soy Sauce
- 2 tbsp Sweet Chilli Sauce can sub ketchup
- 1/2 tsp Rice Vinegar
- Firstly, cut the tofu into 1 cm thick slices. You can either cut 2-3 pieces of tofu for each burger, or one large slice.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cornstarch, salt, and chilli powder. Set aside.
- Add the sunflower oil to a frying pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, coat the tofu thoroughly in the cornstarch mixture, before adding to the frying pan.
- Cook the tofu for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and crisp.
- Prepare the sticky sauce by mixing together the soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce and rice vinegar in a small bowl.
- Layer up the bread rolls with the sauce, rainbow vegetables, and the crispy tofu. Serve immediately.
- For a spicier kick, add 1/2 tsp chilli flakes to the cornstarch mixture.
- The burgers are best served hot whilst the tofu is still crisp.
- Feel free to swap the vegetables for whatever you have on hand!