These crispy tofu burgers are deliciously crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside, and packed with vegetables and a sweet chili sauce. SWOON!
Why you'll love this recipe
I just know you'll love this recipe! It's:
- Ready in just 20 minutes.
- A source of plant-based protein from the tofu and fibre from the rainbow vegetables.
- Perfectly crispy thanks to my handy trick.
- Bursting with flavour thanks to a quick 3-ingredient dipping sauce!
The secret to perfectly crispy tofu:
What's the secret to making perfectly crispy tofu? Well, there are actually three:
- Cut the tofu into thick slices. This ensures the tofu is crispy on the outside and soft in the inside! You want the tofu to be at least 1cm thick.
- Coat the tofu in seasoned cornstarch. This makes the tofu extra crunchy!
- Shallow fry the tofu for 3-4 minutes each side. To ensure the coating is perfectly crisp. Make sure to use enough oil - you want to coat the bottom of the pan.
Once you have prepared the crispy tofu, simply layer in a bun with rainbow vegetables and the sticky sauce!
Notes on this recipe
- Best served immediately.
- Looking for a burger that's more filling? Try my easy vegan black bean burgers!
- Ensure the fried tofu is layered between vegetables within the burger and not touching the sauce, to avoid losing the crunchy texture.
You need to use the white chalky powder which is known as cornstarch in the US and cornflour in the UK.
I like using red cabbage, carrots, and spinach in these burgers, but feel free to use whatever vegetables you like!
The oil in this recipe is key for making the tofu perfectly crisp. If you would like to make the recipe oil-free you can try baking the tofu, however I cannot guarantee as good results as when shallow frying.
Yes! Simply swap the bread rolls for some gluten-free rolls.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please leave a rating + review below and share your photos on Instagram tagging #shivanilovesfood!
More healthy vegan recipes:
Crispy Tofu BurgersLEAVE A REVIEW PRINT RECIPE
For the crispy tofu burgers:
- 3.5 oz/ 100 grams Firm Tofu silken tofu will not work for this recipe
- 2 tablespoon Cornstarch aka cornflour
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp Sunflower Oil
- ¼ Red Cabbage shredded
- 1 Carrot grated
- 1 handful Spinach
- 2 Wholemeal Bread Rolls or gluten-free rolls
For the sticky sauce:
- 1 tablespoon Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoon Sweet Chilli Sauce can sub ketchup
- ½ teaspoon Rice Vinegar
- Firstly, cut the tofu into 1 cm thick slices. You can either cut 2-3 pieces of tofu for each burger, or one large slice.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the cornstarch, salt, and chilli powder. Set aside.
- Add the sunflower oil to a frying pan over medium heat. Once the pan is hot, coat the tofu thoroughly in the cornstarch mixture, before adding to the frying pan.
- Cook the tofu for 3-4 minutes on each side until golden and crisp.
- Prepare the sticky sauce by mixing together the soy sauce, sweet chilli sauce and rice vinegar in a small bowl.
- Layer up the bread rolls with the sauce, rainbow vegetables, and the crispy tofu. Serve immediately.
- For a spicier kick, add ½ teaspoon chilli flakes to the cornstarch mixture.
- The burgers are best served hot whilst the tofu is still crisp.
- Feel free to swap the vegetables for whatever you have on hand!
This is an all around delicious meal! From the flavor of the tofu to the sauce! Just perfect!
That's so kind Suzy! Have a great weekend x
Adding these to the must make list! They look really tasty!
YAY thanks Taylor!
Beautiful burger! I'd never know it was tofu.
Right? It's way too crispy and flavoursome to be tofu...or is it 😉
Delicious tofu burgers! Everybody needs this recipe in their collection! Thanks for sharing 🙂
Definitely! Glad you like it Traci 🙂
Courtney | Love & Good Stuff
I love the crisp on that tofu, and your gorgeous photos!
Thanks so much Courtney - have a great weekend!
This looks good!!
Thanks so much!
I made these tonight for my daughter’s birthday per her request. They were delicious! I added avocado to the veggie pile and served them on slider buns. Thank you for this- it will be in my rotation for sure 🙂
Hi Erin - I'm so glad you liked them! This made my day 🙂