This easy vegan chili is one of my favourite things to meal prep as its made in one-pot, keeps well in the fridge, and is super versatile. Are you sold yet? Let’s do this!
Why you’ll love this recipe
I just know you’re gonna love this one! It’s:
- Cosy, spicy and comforting
- Vegan, gluten-free and packed with good-for-you ingredients
- Made in just one pot
- Super meal-prep friendly!
How to make one-pot vegan chili
Like all good recipes, we’re starting with sauteed onion and garlic. Then we’ll add chopped sweet potatoes and carrots.
Then we’ll add two tins of beans, one tin of chopped tomatoes, and some spices, and simmer the chili for 20 minutes. EASY PEASY.
The secret to making perfect chili
What’s the trick to giving chili depth of flavour without cooking it for hours? Cinnamon!
Yep, adding a sprinkle of cinnamon to your chili takes things to the next level. Whilst we usually see cinnamon in baked goods, it also makes a tasty addition to savoury recipes like this chili.
As well as cinnamon, we’re adding cumin, coriander, chilli powder, chilli flakes, and some S+P. For an extra spicy kick and depth of flavour, we’ll also add chilli sauce and tomato puree.
Different ways to serve vegan chili:
- Enjoy hot with vegan sour cream, lemon/lime wedges + tortilla chips
- Serve with rice and fresh spinach
- Heat up between 2 wholewheat tortillas with a little vegan cheese to make a tasty quesadilla (this is best done once the chili has been in the fridge for a few days as it will be thicker)
- Serve with easy vegan cornbread (recipe from Choosing Chia)
Store this bean chili in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week. You can reheat on the stove-top for 5 minutes on low, or in the microwave for 2 minutes.
Yes! This option is cheaper and a lot quicker so perfect for students. Simply swap out the fresh onions, garlic, sweet potatoes and carrots for their frozen counterparts.
Yes! For extra health points, add in chopped broccoli, peppers, spinach, or sweetcorn to the chili. Feel free to get creative!
You’ll need 2 x 400g tins of beans, but they can be black beans, pinto beans, chickpeas…whatever takes your fancy!
Easy Vegan ChiliLeave a Review Print Recipe
- ½ Red Onion finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlic minced
- 1 tbsp Sunflower Oil
- 4 Sweet Potatoes peeled and diced into 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 Carrot peeled and finely diced
- 2 x 400g tins Beans of choice – I used 1 tin kidney beans and 1 tin mixed beans
- 1 tin Chopped Tomatoes
- ½ tsp Ground Cumin
- ½ tsp Ground Coriander
- ½ tsp Chilli Powder
- ½ tsp Chilli Flakes
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- ¼ tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Chilli Sauce or more/less to preference
- 1 tbsp Tomato Puree
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the onions and garlic and saute for about 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the sweet potatoes and carrots and stir to combine. Add 1 cup of boiling water to the pot, and cook on medium-low for 8-10 minutes until the sweet potatoes soften a little.
- Drain and rinse the 2 tins of beans then add to the pot along with the chopped tomatoes. Add the spices, chilli sauce and tomato puree then stir well to combine.
- Cover and simmer for 20 minutes on medium-low until the beans and sweet potato are cooked through. Serve hot with lemon wedges and vegan sour cream.