These baked curried cauliflower steaks are spicy, crispy and comforting. They come together in minutes and are the perfect side dish to enjoy alongside some whole grains and vegetables.
What is a cauliflower steak, you ask? It is a large slice of cauliflower which is cooked until it is tender on the inside and super crispy on the outside. Which is the perfect inside/outside situation if you ask me.
Note: cauliflower steaks are not meant to taste like steak – they are simply similar in size and shape.
Why you’ll love this recipe
I just know you’ll love this recipe! It’s:
- Packed with flavour and spice
- Ready in minutes
- Vegan-friendly and gluten-free!
Let’s talk spices.
These curried cauliflower steaks are PACKED with flavour thanks to my favourite spices. These are the spices I love adding to my cauliflower steaks:
- Ground cumin and coriander.
- Chilli powder. Feel free to omit or even up the heat if you wish.
To the spicy marinade I also add lime juice for extra tang, brown sugar to make the cauliflower steaks beautifully caramelised, and sunflower oil to allow the cauliflower steaks to crisp up.
Note that you will be able to find most of these spices in the supermarket. If not, you can visit your local Asian supermarket or check Amazon.
How to make cauliflower steaks:
To cut a cauliflower steak, use a VERY large knife to carefully cut your cauliflower into thick slices. Then spread on the marinade and bake the cauliflower steaks for 30 minutes in the oven until golden and crisp. Yum!
Cauliflower steaks are enjoyed with spicy chickpeas or atop a salad. You could even put a cauliflower steak in a sandwich!
You can also cut the cauliflower into smaller pieces to turn it into this delicious cauliflower buddha bowl.
Of course – feel free to use your culinary expertise in this recipe. The possibilities are endless!
Cauliflower steaks are best enjoyed immediately so they stay crisp. You prepare them ahead of time and marinate in the fridge to bake later if you prefer.
Baked Curried Cauliflower SteaksLeave a Review Print Recipe
- ½ head Cauliflower
- ¼ Lime juiced
- 2 tsp Sunflower Oil
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ⅛ tsp Ground Cumin
- ⅛ tsp Ground Coriander
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- ¼ tsp Chilli Powder optional
- ½ tsp Brown Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- Using a large knife, remove the leaves from the cauliflower and cut it vertically into 1.5 cm thick slices. I got two large and two smaller ‘steaks’ from 1/2 a head of cauliflower. Add the steaks to the baking tray.
- Prepare the marinade by mixing together the lime juice, sunflower oil, sugar and spices in a small bowl.
- Use a brush or spoon to spread the marinade onto the cauliflower slices. Spread it as evenly as you can. Don’t worry about flipping the steaks as the marinade will seep through.
- Bake the curried cauliflower steaks for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven once crispy and caramelised.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with chilli flakes, hemp seeds, fresh coriander and dairy-free yoghurt.
- Feel free to prepare the cauliflower steaks ahead of time and leave them in the fridge to marinate before baking. They’ll only taste more flavoursome!
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge and reheated in the microwave.