These baked curried cauliflower steaks are spicy, crispy and comforting. They come together in minutes and are the perfect side dish to enjoy alongside some whole grains and vegetables.
What is a cauliflower steak, you ask? It is a large slice of cauliflower which is cooked until it is tender on the inside and super crispy on the outside. Which is the perfect inside/outside situation if you ask me.
Note: cauliflower steaks are not meant to taste like steak - they are simply similar in size and shape.
Why you'll love this recipe
I just know you'll love this recipe! It's:
- Packed with flavour and spice
- Ready in minutes
- Vegan-friendly and gluten-free!
Let's talk spices.
These curried cauliflower steaks are PACKED with flavour thanks to my favourite spices. These are the spices I love adding to my cauliflower steaks:
- Ground cumin and coriander.
- Chilli powder. Feel free to omit or even up the heat if you wish.
To the spicy marinade I also add lime juice for extra tang, brown sugar to make the cauliflower steaks beautifully caramelised, and sunflower oil to allow the cauliflower steaks to crisp up.
Note that you will be able to find most of these spices in the supermarket. If not, you can visit your local Asian supermarket or check Amazon.
How to make cauliflower steaks:
To cut a cauliflower steak, use a VERY large knife to carefully cut your cauliflower into thick slices. Then spread on the marinade and bake the cauliflower steaks for 30 minutes in the oven until golden and crisp. Yum!
Cauliflower steaks are enjoyed with spicy chickpeas or atop a salad. You could even put a cauliflower steak in a sandwich!
You can also cut the cauliflower into smaller pieces to turn it into this delicious cauliflower buddha bowl.
Of course - feel free to use your culinary expertise in this recipe. The possibilities are endless!
Cauliflower steaks are best enjoyed immediately so they stay crisp. You prepare them ahead of time and marinate in the fridge to bake later if you prefer.
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please leave a rating + review below and share your photos on Instagram tagging #shivanilovesfood!
Baked Curried Cauliflower SteaksLEAVE A REVIEW PRINT RECIPE
- ½ head Cauliflower
- ¼ Lime juiced
- 2 teaspoon Sunflower Oil
- ¼ teaspoon Salt
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ⅛ teaspoon Ground Coriander
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon Chilli Powder optional
- ½ teaspoon Brown Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F. Line a baking tray with grease-proof paper.
- Using a large knife, remove the leaves from the cauliflower and cut it vertically into 1.5 cm thick slices. I got two large and two smaller 'steaks' from ½ a head of cauliflower. Add the steaks to the baking tray.
- Prepare the marinade by mixing together the lime juice, sunflower oil, sugar and spices in a small bowl.
- Use a brush or spoon to spread the marinade onto the cauliflower slices. Spread it as evenly as you can. Don't worry about flipping the steaks as the marinade will seep through.
- Bake the curried cauliflower steaks for 25-30 minutes. Remove from the oven once crispy and caramelised.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with chilli flakes, hemp seeds, fresh coriander and dairy-free yoghurt.
- Feel free to prepare the cauliflower steaks ahead of time and leave them in the fridge to marinate before baking. They'll only taste more flavoursome!
- Leftovers can be stored in the fridge and reheated in the microwave.
Amy | The Cook Report
I love the sound of these, curry flavour works so well with cauliflower
Thank you Amy! The flavours are what makes it so good!
Shivani, you do indeed like photographically good food, haha, I love your pics, they are always so good. Including these ones too!! I love Cauliflower and can't wait to try these. Cheers!
Hahah thank you so much Adrianne! This really means a lot to me. I hope you enjoy these! x
Alina | Cooking Journey Blog
Nothing beats spicy cauliflower! We love cauliflower dishes and this looks like a perfect lunch idea, especially with, served with spicy yogurt.
Couldn't agree more Alina! Hope you enjoy x
Heidy L. McCallum
I made this the day you posted the recipe for it and my family went insane! Great directions and a totally delish recipe for cauliflower. We enjoyed this recipe so much that I think I might make it again next week. I cannot wait to try some of your other recipes!
Aw Heidy thank you so much for the comment! I am SO glad you enjoyed it!
oh my I am drooling over these. such wonderful flavors and so simple to make! what a great recipe 🙂
I love making simple recipes using the best ingredients I can find 🙂 Thank you so much for the kind words Danielle!
Okay these are stunning! What a delicious weeknight meal idea 🙂 And so easy too!
Thank you so much for the kind words Britt! I hope you enjoy them <3
Is the temperature posted right? At 180F? Most other recipes I’ve seen call for 400-425F.
Oops! I forgot to add the units. Its 180°C/350°F. Have updated this in the recipe also 🙂