Instead of loading up on refined sugars this Halloween, why not enjoy something which is healthy, vegan, gluten-free, whole foods plant-based, and not to mention super cute? Cue these 'spooky' matcha energy balls!
Why you'll love this recipe
I just know you'll love this recipe! It's:
- Vegan and gluten-free
- Cute and tasty
- The PERFECT healthy Halloween treat!
How to make matcha energy balls:
Simply add all of the ingredients to a high-powered blender or food processor (photo 1) and pulse until combined (photo 2)!
Once you've formed the mixture, roll tablespoonfuls of the dough into balls. Then turn them into mini monsters by adding edible eyes and sliced almonds (photo 3)! You could also use nut butter and desiccated coconut to give your monsters 'hair' - feel free to get crazy!
Notes on this recipe
- If your dates are too firm, soak them in hot water for a few minutes until sticky then drain before using.
- Store the energy balls in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
- If your blender/ food processor is not high-powered, I recommend pulsing the dry ingredients together first until fine, then adding the dates, to ensure everything is well combined.
Matcha is a Japanese green tea made by grinding tea leaves into a fine powder. As matcha is a form of the whole leaf, it contains more antioxidants than brewed tea leaves. Matcha has a vibrant green colour and strong tea flavour.
Yes! Simply swap the almonds for sunflower seeds.
If the dough is not coming together, add a little water 1 teaspoon at a time and continue to pulse in your food processor until sticky. If the dough is too wet, add a few more oats and pulse.
More energy ball recipes
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please leave a rating + review below and share your photos on Instagram tagging #shivanilovesfood!
Spooky Matcha Energy BallsLEAVE A REVIEW PRINT RECIPE
- ¼ cup/ 70 grams Pitted Dates soft and sticky
- ¼ cup/ 50 grams Raw Almonds use sunflower seeds for nut-free option
- ¼ cup/ 30 grams Oats
- ½ teaspoon Matcha Powder
- 1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Edible eyes
- 1 tablespoon Raw Almonds sliced in halves
- Check that your dates are soft by squishing them between your fingers. If they are not soft enough, soak the dates in hot water for a few minutes until soft then drain.
- Add the dates, oats, almonds, matcha powder, and vanilla extract to a high-speed blender or food processor.
- Pulse to combine. The mixture should form a sticky dough. If it is not coming together, add a little water 1 teaspoon at a time and continue to pulse until a dough forms. If the dough is too wet, add a few more oats and pulse.
- Take tablespoonfuls of the dough and roll between your hands to form balls. To make mini monsters, use teaspoonfuls of dough.
- Decorate the matcha energy balls by adding edible eyes and the sliced almonds for the mouths. Enjoy!
- The energy balls will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 1 week.
WOW already prepping for Halloween treats! This will be fabulous and am saving it for sure.
Ooh I hope you enjoy them Kankana!!