These quick and easy vegan black bean burgers are packed with plant-based protein. This healthy recipe will soon become your go-to weeknight dinner!
Oh, I love a good burger. There’s something so enjoyable about sinking your teeth into a burger so large you can’t even fit it in your hands, experiencing all the flavours and textures in one bite, and watching that drippy sauce run all down your new white t-shirt. (Okay, we don’t like that last one at all. But it’s part of the experience, right?!)
Today I’m sharing a recipe for easy vegan black bean burgers. Yes, they’re VEGAN! They are packed with tasty plant-based protein, made with just 5 ingredients, and ready in just 25 minutes. That’s a win-win-WIN.
What do you need to make easy vegan black bean burgers?
- Beans. Of course! I use black beans as they give the burgers a gorgeous dark purple hue, but you could use any beans of your choosing. I find that chickpeas make burgers quite dry though, so save them for your falafel and hummus. I like to leave some beans whole for textural contrast.
- Flax seeds. If you read my vegan blueberry muffins post, you’ll know I’ve gone a little flax seed crazy at the moment. But my excitement is worthwhile, as flax seeds are packed with healthy things like fiber, amino acids, and omega-3 fats. Ground flax seeds act as a binder in this recipe, once mixed with a little water to form a flax ‘egg’.
- Red onion + garlic. All good recipes start with onions and garlic.
- Breadcrumbs. Another binding agent. Plus, it’s a carb, and we love carbs.
- Spices. As well as the usual salt and pepper, I use ground cumin, ground coriander, and chilli flakes for that spicy kick.
- ALL the toppings. What’s so great about burgers is that they are super customisable! I used lettuce, avocado mashed with lime, and tomato slices in my burgers. You could also use ketchup, mayonnaise, hummus, cucumber, pickles, sliced jalapenos…whatever takes your fancy.
And that’s it! With 5 simple ingredients, some spices, bread and a selection of toppings, you’ve got yourself a super tasty and nutritious meal. Yay!
How to make easy vegan black bean burgers:
Trust me when I tell you this recipe couldn’t be easier. Simply add the onion, garlic, flax egg, and half the black beans to a blender and blitz until smooth. Then you mix this with the remaining beans + spices, add breadcrumbs to bind, shape into patties and cook until golden. And then you jump with joy, because you are having vegan burgers for dinner. And then you jump with joy again, because you realise these taste so. damn. good.
I do hope you try this recipe! If you do, make sure to tag me on Instagram @shivanilf so I can see your creations. You can also keep in touch via Pinterest, Facebook and my weekly newsletter (sign up via sidebar or footer) I look forward to seeing you there!
More easy vegan dinner recipes:
Vegan Black Bean Burgers
- 1 tablespoon Ground Flax Seeds
- 1 can Black Beans washed and drained
- 1/2 Red Onion roughly chopped
- 1 clove Garlic finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Ground Coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- 50 grams Breadcrumbs you may not need them all
- 1 tablespoon Sunflower Oil
- Toppings of choice
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 tbsp ground flax seeds with 2.5 tbsp water. Add to a blender along with the onion, garlic, and half the black beans. Blend until smooth. (If you need to add a little water to help it blend, that is fine)
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the remaining beans as well as the spices. Mix to combine.
- Gradually add in the breadcrumbs until the mixture comes together. Divide the mixture into 4 and shape into patties.
- Cook the patties in an oiled pan over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes on each side. You are aiming for a golden brown colour and for the burgers to be heated through.
- Serve immediately with your choice of Toppings.
- I like to make extra burgers to store in the fridge and bring for lunch the next day. They go great in wraps with a little hummus!