Easy Black Bean Burgers
There’s something so enjoyable about sinking your teeth into a burger so large you can’t even fit it in your hands and experiencing all the flavours and textures in one bite. And today, I’m sharing my recipe for easy black bean burgers.
Why you’ll love this recipe
I just know you’ll love my black bean burgers! They’re:
- Vegan friendly
- Packed with plant-based protein
- Made with just 5 ingredients
- Ready in 25 minutes!
How to make easy vegan black bean burgers:
Add the onion, garlic, flax egg, and half the black beans to a blender and blitz until smooth. Then mix this with the remaining beans + spices, add breadcrumbs to bind, shape into patties and cook until golden. Simple!
NOtes on this recipe
- These burgers can be frozen! To freeze burgers to make later, form the mixture into patties as usual then transfer to a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and freeze overnight. Then transfer the burgers to a ziploc bag and store in the freezer until needed. You can reheat them in the oven or in a frying pan, but be sure to increase the cooking time.
- If you prefer a chunkier burger, then make 3 burgers from this recipe. You will need to increase the cooking time relative to the size of the burger.
Avoid using chickpeas to make bean burgers as they result in very dry burgers. Opt for black beans and save your chickpeas to make hummus instead!
Yes, you can substitute gluten-free breadcrumbs or ground-up rolled oats for the breadcrumbs. The latter may result in a slightly drier burger, but that’s what burger sauces were made for!
I love serving these vegan black bean burgers with avocado, lettuce, and fresh sliced tomato. You could also use ketchup, mayonnaise, hummus, cucumber, pickles, sliced jalapenos…whatever takes your fancy.
As for side dishes, don’t forget to make a double serving of sweet potato fries!
More easy vegan dinner recipes:
Vegan Black Bean Burgers
- 1 tbsp Ground Flax Seeds
- 1 can Black Beans washed and drained
- ½ Red Onion roughly chopped
- 1 clove Garlic finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Black Pepper
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Coriander
- ¼ teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- 3/4 cup/ 50 grams Breadcrumbs you may not need them all
- 1 tbsp Sunflower Oil
- Toppings of choice
- Prepare the flax egg by mixing 1 tbsp ground flax seeds with 2.5 tbsp water. Add to a blender along with the onion, garlic, and half the black beans. Blend until smooth. (If you need to add a little water to help it blend, that is fine)
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and add the remaining beans as well as the spices. Mix to combine.
- Gradually add in the breadcrumbs until the mixture comes together. You may not need them all. Divide the mixture into 4 burgers and shape into patties.
- Cook the patties in an oiled pan over medium-low heat for about 5 minutes on each side. You are aiming for a golden brown colour and for the burgers to be heated through.
- Serve immediately with your choice of toppings!
- I like to make extra burgers to store in the fridge and bring for lunch the next day. They go great in wraps with a little hummus!
NUTRITIONServing size: 1 burger without bun or toppings Calories: 151kcal | Fat: 5.2g | Saturated Fat: 0.6g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 391mg | Carbohydrates: 20.1g | Fiber: 4.3g | Sugar: 1.4g | Protein: 5.7g