Not to toot my own horn or anything, but crumble-topped muffins are a strike of pure genius. And these apple crumble muffins feature a fluffy spiced apple cake with an oaty crumble topping. SWOON.
Why You'll love this recipe:
- It's vegan-friendly (and therefore egg-free!)
- The perfect cosy seasonal bake
- It's topped with streusel. WOOHOO.
How to make Vegan Apple Crumble Muffins
Prepare the muffin batter by mixing together the wet ingredients and gradually adding the dry ingredients (photos 1-2). Stir in the grated apple to complete the batter (photo 3).
Prepare the crumble topping in a small bowl (photo 4). Divide the muffin batter between muffin cases (photo 5) and top with the streusel (photo 6). Then bake until golden and devour!
Notes on this recipe
- Opt for everyday apples over cooking apples in this recipe as the muffins have a short cooking time. My favourite options are Pink Lady and Royal Gala.
- If you wish, you can prepare the crumble topping with vegan butter instead of coconut oil.
- Grating the apple is essential for achieving the perfect texture and apple flavour. Don't be tempted to slice it instead!
- Make sure that you use rolled oats, as opposed to porridge oats, for the crumble topping. Rolled oats are a larger form of the oat, and hence give the topping more texture.
Yes! Simply swap out the brown and caster sugar for equal quantities of date or coconut sugar.
Baked muffins will store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 5 days.
No, but it is highly recommended 🙂
More baking recipes to try:
Apple Crumble Muffins
- 3.5 oz/ 100 grams Apple Sauce
- ¼ cup/ 50 ml Sunflower Oil
- ½ cup/ 50 grams Soft Light Brown Sugar
- 1 cup + 2 tbsp/ 100 grams Self-Raising Flour
- ¾ teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1 Small Apple peeled + grated
For the crumble:
- 4 tbsp/ 30 grams Plain Flour
- 4 tbsp/ 30 grams Rolled Oats
- 1 ½ tbsp/ 20 grams Coconut Oil
- 2 tbsp/ 20 grams Caster Sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees. Line a muffin pan with 6 muffin cases and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the applesauce, sunflower oil and brown sugar with a wooden spoon.
- Gradually add the flour, baking powder, and spices to the bowl, folding the mixture after each addition. Stir in the grated apple.
- Divide the muffin mixture between the 6 muffin cases. Prepare the crumble in a small bowl by mixing together the ingredients with your fingers. Divide the crumble mixture evenly on top of the muffins.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes until the crumble is slightly golden. Leave to cool slightly before enjoying!
- You want your grated apple to weigh between 60-80 grams.
- The muffins are best enjoyed warm from the oven, but will keep in a covered container for up to 5 days.