A healthy recipe for the ULTIMATE vegan sandwich, packed with colourful vegetables like juicy tomatoes, crunchy cucumber and creamy avocado.
Okay, let’s get real for a second. A vegan sandwich can be kinda…boring. As a foodie, the last thing I want for lunch is a limp piece of lettuce slapped between two pieces of bread. You get me?
But fear not, friends, for I have created the ultimate vegan sandwich. Layers of creamy avocado, crunchy cucumber, juicy tomato and more all encased in a seeded bagel bun. In other words, this sandwich contains everything that vegans (and non-vegans) love, and you need to make it ASAP.
What makes a good sandwich?
Sandwiches to me, are all about contrast. Think of a sandwich as a portable meal: you want to have as many different flavours, colours and textures as possible for the optimum eating experience. That’s why I have added the following to my sandwich:
- Crunchy cucumber and creamy avocado: for that perfect balance of texture in every bite.
- Sweet, tangy tomato and peppery cress sprouts: a balance of flavours? check.
- All the colours of the rainbow! well, not all of them. But quite a few 😉
So, what exactly makes the ultimate vegan sandwich…ultimate?!
It’s all in the fillings! The more layers of crunchy colourful veg you can layer up in the sandwich, the better. Here’s exactly what went into my sandwich:
- Creamy avocado: mixed with a little lemon juice to add extra tang. It also help to prevent your avocado going brown. However, oxidation is inevitable and hence this sandwich should be eaten as soon as possible, unless you’re okay with funky looking avocados! You could use beet hummus instead if you don’t like avocado.
- Spinach: it’s high in iron and has a gorgeous deep green hue, making it far more superior than the usual choice of lettuce. The more colour in your foods, the more pigments that are present in them. These pigments have a variety of roles in the body, but they are all beneficial – yay!
- Tomato: sliced nice and thin, fresh tomato adds sweet + tangy flavour to a sandwich. (Tip: if you are prepping this sandwich ahead, make sure to blot your tomato slices on some kitchen towel to remove excess water.)
- Cucumber: I love cucumber in sandwiches. The crunchiness of this water-based vegetable complements the softness of the bread perfectly.
- Vegan cheese: I added a little vegan cheese for extra creaminess, but this is entirely optional. For a healthier alternative, you could make some cauliflower alfredo sauce and drizzle it on top.
- And finally, cress: cress is my latest obsession – these micro greens are not only ridiculously cheap, but they make a really pretty topping for salads and sandwiches. Cress is also high in sulforaphane, (also found in broccoli) which has a myriad of health benefits.
- Optional add-ins: to add extra plant protein to your sandwich, you can add hummus, crispy tofu, falafel, or even mashed + seasoned black beans. The possibilities are endless!
So that’s what’s in my ultimate sandwich! The best thing about sandwiches is being able to customise them to your personal taste, so if there is anything in my sandwich you dislike, simply omit and swap for something else you like. And oh yes, I served mine on a seeded bagel bun, which is great for on the go. I can imagine this tasting amazing with some fresh local sourdough too. Have fun and experiment!
I do hope you try this recipe! If you do, be sure to tag me on Instagram @shivanilf – I love seeing your creations! You can also keep updated with me on Pinterest and Facebook – I hope to see you there!
If you like this recipe, you may also like:
- Easy vegan black bean burgers
- Crispy baked polenta chips
- Beetroot hummus
- Easy falafel recipe
- Vegan pesto pasta
The Ultimate Vegan Sandwich
- 2 Seeded Bagels
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1/4 Lemon juiced
- 8-10 Spinach Leaves
- 1/2 Tomato finely sliced
- 1/8 Cucumber finely sliced
- 15 grams Vegan Cheese grated
- Cress Sprouts
- Slice the bagels in half. Mash the avocado with the lemon, and spread across all four of the bagel slices.
- Layer up the bagel with the spinach, tomato, cucumber, vegan cheese, and cress sprouts. Season well with salt and pepper, top with the other bagel slice, and enjoy!
Did you make this recipe? Tag me on Instagram @shivanilf #shivanilovesfood!
Pin this recipe: