Baked Sweet Potato Fries
It’s no secret that we’re a big fan of sweet potatoes around here, and one of my favourite ways to enjoy than has got to be as crispy baked fries. Today we’re spilling ALLL the secrets to making your own baked sweet potato fries at home!
Sweet potato vs regular potato:
Why eat sweet potatoes over regular potatoes? Here are 3 reasons why:
- They’re 1.5x higher in fibre which keeps your gut happy 🙂
- They contain beta-carotene (the pigment which makes them orange) which aids vision and the immune system
- They are tastier! Their sweet flavour is particularly delicious when baked.
How to make baked sweet potato fries at home
As sweet potatoes have a higher water content than regular potatoes they tend to become soggy when baked. The secret to avoiding this is ensuring that you thoroughly dry the potatoes after washing. If you leave the water residue on the potato, it creates a steamy environment in the oven yielding a soggy fry.
Once your potatoes are dry, slice into fries and coat with oil and seasonings. Then bake for about 30 minutes, rotating halfway, until golden and crispy!
The hardest part is the wait for them to cook – but it’s so worth it! You can enjoy them immediately with your favourite dip or alongside some homemade black bean burgers.
Of course! Both are equally delicious and work well in this recipe.
Yes – you can use any oil of your choosing. If you are using coconut oil, make sure that it is melted first.
I like your thinking! Simply add some chilli flakes, chilli powder, smoked paprika and a little garlic powder to your sweet potato fries before baking.
notes on this recipe
- Don’t slice the fries too thin. I know it’s tempting to make skinny fries, but with sweet potatoes, it’s best to keep the fries on the thicker side to give them more structure.
- Use two baking trays if necessary to ensure the fries are in an even layer. This makes sure every surface of each fry is exposed to the heat so it can get crispy!
- Use your hands to massage the oil and spices into the fries, so each one is perfectly flavoursome.
more sweet potato recipes to try
- Sweet potato pancakes
- Vegan naan pizza with sweet potato and pesto
- One pot vegan chili with sweet potato
- Sweet potato mac and cheese
Baked Sweet Potato Fries
- 4 Sweet Potatoes
- 1 tbsp Oil of choice
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/350°F.
- Wash the sweet potatoes and dry with a paper towel. Slice off the ends and cut into fries – you want them to be about 1/2 inch thick.
- Spread the fries in an even layer onto a baking tray. If your baking tray is small, divide the fries between 2 trays to ensure even cooking.
- Drizzle the oil atop the fries and sprinkle on the salt and pepper. You can stop here, or add extra seasonings if desired (I love chilli flakes!)
- Use your hands to toss the fries to evenly coat in the oil and seasonings.
- Bake the sweet potato fries for 30 minutes, tossing them halfway through. If you like your fries a little crispier, you can bake for 5-10 minutes more, but be careful not to burn them!
- Serve hot with ketchup, sour cream, pesto, mayo, or your favourite condiments!
- Best served immediately, though leftovers will keep in the fridge for 1 day in an airtight container.
- You can reheat them in the oven or microwave, but they will not be as crispy as when they are fresh from the oven!
NUTRITIONServing size: 1/4 of the sweet potato fries Calories: 190 kcal | Fat: 3.6g | Saturated Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 158mg | Carbohydrates: 37.5g | Fiber: 5.3g | Sugar: 0.7g | Protein: 2g