This post may contain affiliate links. Read my disclosure.
Mexican-style stuffed sweet potatoes are a no-fuss vegan dinner that is sure to impress. Packed with flavour and spice, and ready in under an hour!
Hey friends! I realised that I want to share more quick and healthy dinner recipes with you. Because as much as we love muffins, they’re not substantial enough to have for dinner (believe me, I’ve tried).
Cue these Mexican-style stuffed sweet potatoes: fluffy baked sweet potatoes stuffed with spicy black beans and avocado. It’s a whole foods plant based Mexican fiesta!
How to bake sweet potatoes:
Have you ever baked a sweet potato before? It’s something I do at least twice a week, because guess what? It’s super easy!
To bake a sweet potato, simply pierce the potato with a knife, rub with oil, salt and pepper, and bake at 180/350 for 45 minutes. Baking time may vary based on the size of your potatoes, but 45 minutes is a good place to start. To tell if the potatoes are done, they should be soft in the middle and oozing caramel.
What ingredients will I need?
Stuffed sweet potatoes are the perfect thing to make when you’re running low on groceries. Sweet potatoes and black beans are two things I always keep in my pantry as they are a great source of plant based protein.
Aside from sweet potatoes and black beans, you’ll need some seasonings to spice up the black beans, some avocado, red onion, and (optional) fresh herbs. Talking of herbs, I’ve just started growing my own herbs in my uni room and am very proud of my babies. The herbs you see in these photos? I GREW THOSE!
Storing stuffed sweet potatoes:
These sweet potatoes are best served immediately whilst the sweet potatoes and black beans are hot. They can be prepared ahead of time and reheated in the microwave, but be sure to mash and serve the avocado at the last minute to prevent browning.
You could also roast extra sweet potatoes to use in other dishes, like buddha bowls and breakfast burritos. They’re a great thing to meal prep at the weekend and keep on hand!
I hope you enjoy this easy vegan dinner recipe! As always, if you make this recipe or any other recipe on the blog, let me know by leaving a rating/comment below. You can also follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Pinterest for more vegan recipes!
Mexican-Style Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
- 4 Sweet Potatoes medium sized
- 1 tsp Sunflower Oil
- salt + pepper
- 1 x 400g tin Black Beans
- 1/4 tsp Chilli Flakes
- 1/4 tsp Chilli Powder
- 1/4 tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/4 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1/4 Lime juiced
- 1/4 Red Onion optional, to serve
- Firstly, poke the sweet potatoes with a sharp knife. Place on a tray and rub the sweet potatoes with the sunflower oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Bake the sweet potatoes at 180°C/ 350°F for 45 minutes until tender and fluffy. When the potatoes are oozing caramel, they are ready.
- 10 minutes before the sweet potatoes are ready, prepare the black beans: Rinse and drain the black beans then transfer to a small saucepan along with the chilli flakes, chilli powder, cumin, coriander, and 3 tbsp water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cook the beans for 5 minutes until soft and warmed through. Meanwhile, mash the avocado with the lime and season with salt and pepper.
- Finely slice the onions (optional) for serving. To assemble, slice a sweet potato in half, squeeze from the sides to open the centre, and fill with the black beans. Top with avocado, onion slices, chilli flakes and fresh herbs. Enjoy!
- You can prepare this recipe ahead of time and store in the fridge for 1 day. To reheat, simply microwave for 2 minutes or until heated through. If you are preparing this recipe ahead of time, be sure to add the avocado just before serving.
NUTRITIONServing size: 2 sweet potatoes Calories: 420 kcal | Fat: 5.7g | Saturated Fat: 0.5g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 850mg | Carbohydrates: 86.3g | Fiber: 15.1g | Sugar: 2.2g | Protein: 7.9g