An easy and healthy Vegan baked falafel recipe. With this basic homemade falafel there are endless possibilities of dishes – for example wraps, sandwiches, burgers and buddha bowls!
I looove falafel. I love it so much I felt the need to use three ‘o’s in the word looove. That golden crispy exterior packed with tasty plant-based protein never fails to entice me. And it goes great with hummus, but really, what doesn’t go great with hummus?
I am genuinely salivating as I look at these macro shots. Ugh, why did I have to take close up photos which are making me crave some midnight falafel?
This dish is all about flavour. Onion, garlic, lime, cumin, coriander, and chilli flakes unite in this dish giving it the ultimate spicy, salty, flavoursome taste. Feel free to add more or less of any ingredients to suit your personal palette. The heat is really mild in this recipe so they are also kid-friendly, but if you have children who can’t handle any spice at all then omit the chilli flakes. I also like to add chopped spinach to my falafel sometimes for extra iron.
Just a few ways to eat falafel:
- On its own – duh. In fact, I suggest making a double batch of this recipe, so you can eat one whilst preparing your falafel wraps and sandwiches. Now if that isn’t good thinking, I don’t know what is.
- Falafel Wraps. As pictured! Goes particularly well with beetroot hummus and cucumber. And an extra side of falafel.
- Falafel Sandwiches. Great for a vegan school or work lunch – simply spread hummus onto brown bread slices, add some falafel and your favourite veggies and you are good to go!
- Falafel Burgers. Supersize these bad boys and turn them into burger patties for your next BBQ (which unfortunately, won’t be until Summer 2019 if you live in the UK) Alternatively you can make them in the oven as stated in the recipe.
- Buddha Bowls. Grab a friend, load up some bowls with grains, veggies, falafel and hummus, and give yourselves a pat on the back for creating such a balanced colourful meal.
I hope you enjoy these falafels as much as I do! Oh, who am I kidding, I am falafel’s number one fan! If you make this recipe, tag me on Instagram @shivanilf – I love seeing your creations! You can also keep updated with me on Pinterest and Facebook – I hope to see you there!
If you like this recipe, you may also like:
- Beetroot hummus
- Easy vegan black bean burgers
- Vegan naan pizza
- Crispy baked polenta chips
- The ultimate vegan sandwich
EASY FALAFEL RECIPE
- 1 can Chickpeas washed + drained
- 1/2 Onion, small finely chopped
- 1/4 Lime juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Dried Coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon Chilli Flakes
- 1 teaspoon Chopped Coriander
- 2 tablespoons Plain Flour
- 2 tablespoons Sunflower Oil
- Add all of the ingredients except the oil into a large bowl and mix together well with your hands, smushing some of the chickpeas to create a dough.
- Form 9 small patties or balls from the dough and transfer to a baking tray. Brush them with oil so they can crisp up.
- Bake for 25 minutes until golden and serve with beetroot hummus and cucumber in wraps.