Chickpea Sweet Potato Curry
This chickpea sweet potato curry is the perfect cosy recipe to make this fall. It’s packed with flavour and deliciously creamy thanks to coconut milk. It’s also perfect for meal prepping!
WHy you’ll love this chickpea sweet potato curry:
- It’s packed with flavour and spice (and don’t worry, you won’t need too many ingredients!)
- It lasts well in the fridge so is perfect for meal prep
- It comes together in under 30 minutes
- It’s made with whole-foods plant-based ingredients, and is vegan and gluten-free!
How to make sweet potato and chickpea curry:
Do you think making healthy and tasty curries at home is hard? Think again! This sweet potato curry with chickpeas not only tastes like takeaway food, but is made with a lot less oil making it healthier for you.
Here’s how to make this tasty dish at home:
- Saute the onion, red pepper, and garlic in a little oil with cumin seeds and mustard seeds. The cumin and mustard seeds add lots of flavour to this curry, so try not to omit them!
- Add the chunks of peeled sweet potato and some water, then cook until the sweet potatoes soften.
- Add the chickpeas, broccoli, coconut milk and spices. We are using chilli powder, turmeric, ground cumin, and ground coriander in this recipe.
- Simmer for 10 minutes until everything is cooked through.
AND THAT’S IT GUYS. It’s so easy, so healthy, and soooo tasty!
Variations on this recipe:
- Try adding 1-2 cups fresh spinach or kale during the last 2-3 minutes of cooking for some extra colour and nutrients!
- Sub cauliflower for the broccoli. Or use both – if so, you’re my type of person 😉
- Use kala chana (dark brown chickpeas) instead of regular chickpeas for extra health benefits
- You can use light coconut milk if you wish, but the curry won’t be as creamy.
I wouldn’t omit the coconut milk as it adds depth of flavour and richness.
Prepared curry will last in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Make sure to reheat it well before serving.
More sweet potato recipes:
If you like this recipe, you’ll love these other sweet potato recipes!
- These sweet potato pancakes make the perfect Sunday brunch with a little maple syrup
- This hearty vegan chili
- You can’t go wrong with classic sweet potato fries as a side dish
- Sweet potato on pizza? Tastes even better than it sounds!
Sweet Potato Chickpea Curry (vegan)
- 2 tsp Sunflower Oil
- ¼ Red Onion finely diced
- 1 Red Pepper finely diced
- 2 cloves Garlic finely diced
- ½ tsp Cumin Seeds
- ¼ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 3 Sweet Potatoes peeled and diced into 1 inch chunks
- 2 x 400g tins Chickpeas washed and drained
- ⅓ head Broccoli broken into florets
- 1 tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Chilli Powder or more/less to preference
- ½ tsp Turmeric
- ¼ tsp Ground Cumin
- ¼ tsp Ground Coriander
- ½ can/ 200ml Coconut Milk Full-fat or light
- Add the oil, onion, pepper, garlic, cumin seeds and mustard seeds to a large pot over medium heat. Cook until the onions are soft and the seeds begin to crackle.
- Add the chopped sweet potatoes to the pot along with 1 cup water. Cook for 5-10 minutes until the sweet potatoes begin to soften.
- Add the chickpeas, broccoli, salt, chilli powder, turmeric, ground cumin, ground coriander, and coconut milk to the pot. Stir well then cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until everything is cooked through. Serve hot with fluffy rice!
- The curry will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can reheat it in the microwave or stovetop – ensure it is hot before serving.
- See the blog post for some recipe variations!
NUTRITIONServing size: 1/4 of the recipe Calories: 491 kcal | Fat: 16.9g | Saturated Fat: 11.2g | Cholesterol: 0mg | Sodium: 1141mg | Carbohydrates: 76.1g | Fiber: 14.1g | Sugar: 4.2g | Protein: 12.5g