It's smoothie bowl season and I am HERE FOR IT. A healthy and Instagram-worthy bowl is the perfect way to start the day and I'm sharing all the tips to make your smoothie bowls perfect!
What is a smoothie bowl?
A smoothie bowl is a thick bowl of blended fruit which is usually enjoyed with topping such as granola, nut butters and fruits. Smoothie bowls are prepared by making a smoothie using less liquid and lots of frozen fruit to achieve a creamy ice cream-like texture.
Why you'll love this recipe
I just know you're gonna love this healthy breakfast recipe! It's:
- Made with just 2 simple ingredients!
- Naturally high in fibre and protein to keep you full throughout the day
- Vegan-friendly and perfect for kids too!
How to make a blueberry smoothie bowl
This recipe is made with just two simple ingredients: frozen blueberries and frozen bananas. Simply blend the two together with a splash of water until thick and creamy. SWOON!
You can purchase pre-frozen blueberries in most supermarkets, but you'll have to freeze your own bananas at home. I like to do this by slicing each banana into 8-10 chunks and freezing overnight in a freezer bag.
Blending smoothie bowls can require some patience but it is worth it for the final result! I recommend slowly adding water as needed to achieve a thick texture - you don't want to add too much liquid or the smoothie will be too runny.
Smoothie bowl toppings
The best part about a smoothie bowl? All of the tasty toppings you can enjoy it with! Here are a few of my favourites:
- Granola - a classic smoothie bowl topping which provides a delicious crunch. Try my homemade chocolate orange granola recipe if you're feeling in a baking mood.
- Nut butters - almond butter is one of my top choices but this pistachio version is sure to go down well also.
- Fresh fruits - if you're a fruitaholic like me, you'll want to top your smoothie bowl with extra fruits! Some of my favourites are sliced bananas, berries and coconut flakes.
- Seeds - hemp seeds, pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds are all tasty choices!
You can prepare smoothie bowls using any blender. The trick is to be patient with blending and gradually add water as needed so as to keep the smoothie thick. I like to use a Vitamix blender, however if you are using a cheaper blender, you may find that the final result is not as thick or smooth.
Ideally, yes, as frozen bananas yield a thick ice cream-like texture. However, if you are in a pinch, you can use a fresh banana so long as you are using frozen blueberries. You may also want to add a handful of ice to your blender to achieve a thicker consistency.
You can use any liquid of your choosing and depending on the fruits in your smoothie. I use water in this recipe but almond milk and orange juice are also good options!
More bluberry recipes:
I hope you enjoy this recipe! If you make it, please leave a rating + review below and share your photos on Instagram tagging #shivanilovesfood!
Blueberry Smoothie BowlLEAVE A REVIEW PRINT RECIPE
- ½ cup /100 grams Frozen Blueberries plus a extra for decoration
- 1 Frozen Banana
- 3 tablespoon Water you may not need it all, can use almond milk or orange juice if preferred
- 1 teaspoon Almond Butter or nut/seed butter of choice
- ¼ cup Granola
- Add the frozen blueberries and frozen banana to the jug of a high-speed blender along with a splash of water.
- Blend well until thick and creamy, only adding extra water if it is needed.
- Decant the smoothie bowl into your favourite bowl and add toppings of choice - I like granola, sliced banana and hemp seeds! Enjoy.
- Start with a little water and gradually add more as needed to achieve a thick consistency.
- Serve immediately.
what blender do u use?
Hi Addision! I use the Vitamix S30 blender and highly recommend this model. Hope this helps you 🙂